Running and trumpet playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Aug 30, 2014.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJDwH6RF9hM
    I started running about 10 weeks ago to help with some weight loss.. but the law of unintended consequences .. even though that means a little less practice time the benefits in my overall playing are very cool.
    that's pretty much it .... if you need an excuse to get off the couch ...
    running this on Monday
    NOTE: I was having trouble posting the link as a youtube video ... got frustrated and didn't proof read the title ... great typo on the word trumpet....aaauuuggghhhh

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Its been a while since we had a trumpeting/fitness thread going, Dave. Best wishes for your run on Monday.

I know we have had famous trumpet players representing all sorts of levels of fitness and overall health, but for me a healthy lifestyle augments good trumpet playing (by my modest standards). Oops! Trumpet time is over for the day. On to the treadmill....

Jim

3. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    I find running and trumpet playing very difficult. The constant pounding smacks the mouthpiece into my lips. :cool:

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Or pushbike riding and trumpet playing? I'm doing the Sydney to the Gong ride in November, might even get 5 seconds of fame if I tried that.
    Home | 2014 MS Gong Ride

2014 MS Gong Ride

(Hopefully acceptable to plug this, and donations are tax-deductible in Australia)

All the best, Dave - mind the knees and keep hydrated. Good luck, and good on you!

--bumblebee

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And I keep tripping on my baggy pants!

6. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm sure that both improving aerobic fitness and weight loss help your trumpet playing. I've dropped 14kg this year (exercise and diet) and it's helped both my playing and singing. The additional lung capacity makes playing easier and a lot more relaxed. There seems to be breath to spare. (... Or maybe it's just a surplus of hot air :-))

7. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    I play and unicycle. I get wobble in in my sound, but nothing too bad.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    good idea -- getting physically fit ---

9. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    It stands to reason that the better you feel, the better you will perform. I believe that Claude Gordon was a believer in exercise as well as Bud Brisbois. I know that Doc Severinsen is also a big advocate of fitness. The man is 87 and is still an amazing player and very fit. He's very wiry and muscular, like a boxer in the lower weight classes.
    Trumpet playing is a physically demanding task. I've worked out regularly since 1976, mostly running and weights. I don't really play too much any more, however I always feel better when I'm working out regularly. The few times I've been forced to abandon my workouts due injuries I always felt out of sorts.
    You don't need to be fanatical about working out but it helps to be consistent. At 58 I have had to modify my routine. Running one day for 30-40 minutes and weight training the next day for 45 minutes.

10. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Great idea Dave, I started running about 3 years ago. I have lost nearly 3 stone and feel great and yes areobic fitness definitely helps my playing. However it gets addictive. I now run a couple of half marathons every year, doing the Cardiff half in October. Currently manage a smidge under 2 hours but always trying to improve.... pretty much like my playing... :)