Running and trumpet playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Aug 30, 2014.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
  2. salebow

salebow New Friend

Jul 10, 2014
    Edmond, OK
    I would like to lose some weight, but with a new baby that is 3 weeks old, working 12 hour days, and a wife and two other kids vying for my time, it's hard to get practice time in, much less time to go out and run around the neighborhood. Maybe once things calm down with the new baby I can start exercising again. :)

3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I think combining running and trumpet playing is a great idea.

7am prompt Mrs Seth goes out for a jog around the estate with a bunch of overweight neighbours, and I get a clear hour to practise whatever I want. ;-)

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Shucks I now just wish I could walk/march through this small town playing my trumpet. Who is first to do the math and tell how far I'd have to walk in this town as is actually only ten square miles in area? Jefferson Street (US 158) is the Main St that crosses town East - West very near parallel to its North and South borders.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    quit eating the Enfamil and the mushed carrots -- and that might help you a bit ----- baby food is designed for growing babies not you ROFL ROFL ROFL

good luck when the little one outgrows the mush!!!

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    While in grad school I took up jogging, mainly so I could jog with a cute flute player. We jogged for a half hour a day at first and later an hour. (The day after the first 30 minute jog was one of the most painful in memory.) One day I went straight to the music school after jogging to pick up some stuff from my office and on a whim picked up my trumpet and played an effortless three octave arpeggio, much to the surprise of an exchange student who asked, "How did you do that?" "Jogging," I replied.

I find that jogging does wonders for endurance--a comfortable pace will raise the heart rate some but still allow pretty normal breathing. At a faster pace we tend to breathe more shallowly which contrasts with the deeper breaths when we play.

My advice is to jog but not run, especially if cute flute players are involved.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Lay off the Teddy Grahams!! ROFLROFLROFL

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Losing weight is like practicing trumpet. We develop a daily routine and learn by intelligent repetition what to pump in the front end to get the desired results at the other end.

When I read excuses, basically I understand the real problem. I got diabetes a couple of years ago. I lost 35lbs in 3 months by eating less, eating more intelligently and increasing body movement (stairs instead of lift, working standing up instead of sitting, etc.). My motivation was impending destruction of my eyes, heart and other nasties. Now after 2 1/2 years, the weight is still gone - because just like trumpet playing, I reward myself for goals achieved and have a daily routine that is only for maintenance.

Being healthier means that you are better able to handle 12 hour days and the irregularities of a small child.

Weight is a function of intake of fuel to the burning of it. Use a small kitchen scale and reduce the weight of what you eat by 25%. You will get your first results with NO sacrifice. Start reading the labels on the food you eat. The sugar lobby has even poisoned BREAD! The next results will come. Eat a better breakfast and lunch-reduce late night carbs. Even more results. Increase body movement during your working day. Get a headset and telephone standing up. Read from a music stand standing up!

It is a myth that reducing weight or learning to play double C is hard. One intelligent step after another guarantees long lasting results. No quick downloads, no cheats. One small step after the other. The only thing missing is intelligence in what we do. A moron cannot help themselves, they simply do not have the mental capacity. The idiot has a choice and makes the bad choice on purpose. The fool finds a way to blame others. The unfortunate get health issues and drag the WHOLE family down.

Just do it. No different than with the trumpet. Get a coach for a good start. Have practice monitored until we get it. THAT always works.

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Update.. the run was great ... first uphill over the bridge.. piece of cake ... coming back however OMG ... running is great for the head ... thanks for the encouragement ... and playing really is much easier ... double tonguing seems much easier too... one of those surprises.
    Anyway.. for the run geeks... I ran 5.3 miles.. avg. pace was a 10min mile... placed 432 out of almost 2,800 ... so not bad for the old guy.

10. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Congratulations, Dave! Not a bad pace either.
    Jim