Running and trumpet playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Aug 30, 2014.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Well done! And I know it's tougher doing the last quarter compared to the first quarter, though did you find the last 100 yards seem much easier, when you could see the finish?

--bumblebee

2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.

I couldn't agree more. The weight is a witness of lifestyle, not an end in itself. Loosing the weight requires changing lifestyle, a permanent change, but it's not easy. As a health care provider, I can think of only one way to describe what is happening in the States and taking hold in the developing world: Death by Sugar.
    I agree with everything Rowuk said here, especially reducing quantities. However, I would like to emphasize the dangers of sugar.

From everything I have read and witnessed first hand, I believe that the most appropriate comparison for sugar should be tobacco. Anyone who has been exposed to enough of it for many years will have some disease that will severely restrict their quality of life. With tobacco, you can't escape some level of COPD. With sugar, you will experience some level of diabetes, whether it is mild insulin resistance or 50 units of lantus per day, in addition to the fast acting insulin at meal times. Diabetes increases the risk of a myriad diseases and directly causes circulatory impairment that, in many cases, leads to amputation of lower limbs. And there is the chronic hypertension and resulting kidney disease.

Last week I had a patient less than 60 years old with an already old bilateral below knee amputation die of urosepsis. We are fed sugar by every possible mean, through all sorts of indirect ways. It affects more than just our pancreas. There is research indicating that it promotes inflammation, which in turn, leads to all sorts of diseases. It wreaks havoc on our seeking/reward behaviors, which are involved in depression, anxiety and other disorders. It starts a hellish vicious cycle in which we move less, impairing all body processes that rely on movement, from bone remodeling to digestion or circulation. It may not be as scary as the word cancer but it is no better. So far I do not believe that there has been much research on the correlation between high sugar intake and incidence of cancer but I would not be surprised if the risk was higher there too.

Contrarily to our perception of the word "sweet", sugar is evil. Refined sugar is refined evil. Chase it away by all possible means, do not replace it with substitutes, just do away with it. The only sugars we should absorb are the naturally occurring ones, in fruits and vegetables, or honey in small quantities. It is unfortunate that our culinary traditions have so many applications for it in special occasions because we feel compelled to socially comply. A difficult but worthy undertaking.

At no time in human history was sugar so readily available and consumed in such quantities by so many people. The results can be seen in the obesity statistics, recently updated in the US. Childhood obesity is especially cruel. Kids build more fat cells to store excess calories, not just bigger ones. It makes it much more difficult to loose weight. They train their brains to the constant reward of overly sweet foods. The risk of future physiological and mental disease skyrockets with childhood obesity. Don't let your kids become that way, it can be avoided.

3. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    The sad thing is sugar and sugar-rich products are quite addictive for many people. I know people who complain about their health (or lack thereof) yet consume sweet biscuits and chocolate almost daily. And jam on bread. And not enough good fats, protein and veggies. :-(

--bumblebee

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    In my pediatric practice, sugar IS the evil... however, in my adult practice... it is fats.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Do our readers realize that margarine is just one double bond away from plastic?

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My wife would buy margarine and I refused to eat it. Toast is really dry!

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Put cinnamon and lots of sugar on it! :twisted:

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Knowledge is for sure power, but I am convinced that like with running or practicing trumpet, good eating habits are reserved for the lucky few. Most simply are not willing to add the simple ingredient of "structure" to their lives unless some major incentive (good looking flute player running, important playing opportunity, diabetes, heart attack, death in the family) comes along. I mean like who doesn't know where excessive weight comes from, why high notes don't work, why our teeth and eyes rot away? We know why things don't work but choose not to change. The result: we keep buying mouthpieces and trumpets, our running shoes get dusty after exercize becomes uninteresting, we get used to blaming others for not helping. It is commendable that Coolerdave has started running. Let's keep the thread positive about that. We do have enough (tera-) bits left here at TM for a thread on sugar and trumpet playing although "pops and your chops" could be misunderstood...............

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    True. Keep up the good work Coolerdave. Did a 5k a few days ago myself, a comeback of sorts after breaking a metatarsal back in May. Feels good.

10. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    That's the problem with many people - suspension of sense, until the pleasure-synapses have had their kick. And they recover soon enough for another round.

So the trick is to provide an even better kick - e.g. the rush when the cardio/aerobic system are working great together as you run across the top of the bridge with plenty left in the tank. Beta-endorphins beat sugar any day I think.

--bumblebee