Running out of liquid (upper lip)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, Feb 12, 2010.

1. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    Hi, recently after around 20 minutes of playing I'm beggining to run out of liquid under upper lip and than I lose the tone. Than I have to settle down, drink a bit of water and after 20 minutes I continue

This worries me because I used to play 45minutes sometimes even more than an hour non-stop

I think it is a bad habit, I may swallow to much spit in order not to blow it into trumpet to avoid train wreck, so it developed into total drying of the upper lip

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Frank,

This may be caused by all sorts of causes (health problems, anxiety etc) but there are few simple fixes.

1. Maurice Andre's - before a performance/gig take a slice of lemon and rub with it the upper side of your palm. When starting to feel "dry" lick the place where you rubbed the lemon - the lemon will increase the production of saliva (or at least it should).
    2. You can bite your tongue or lips - this will stimulate saliva production, but I am not sure how this will affect your chops (if at all)
    3. Check your diet - to may contain foods that are too salty, sweet or hot - avoid this on a gig day, leave it for the pub after the gig - then eat what you want with as much beer as you like.
    4. Drink lots of water generally, don't forget it on a gig day...just make sure you don't have to go to the WC in the middle of a performance :bleah:

3. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    thanks

now that you mentioned diet, could it be coffe?

I drink plenty of it

4. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Coffee is a diuretic and is not a good choice for hydration.

Tastes good, though

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    are you pitching the trumpet up a little(or tilting your head down a little) causing a little more pressure on your upper lip?

6. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    the reason for that was hot MPC, beleive it or not

dip MPC in cold water occasionaly and problem gone

7. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    In the days before planes, when people still walked through hot places, they used to put a pebble in their mouth, and they would try to digest it by producing more spit, could this work with a mouthpiece in your mouth?

8. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    WAT! are you advising me to eat gravel!?:shock:

9. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    As a singer we would battle dry mouth on stage by putting 1/2 of a gummy bear in between our cheek and gums, the sugar causes an increase in saliva pproduction.

I have no idea what affect that will have on the cleanliness of your horn.

10. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    You will have seized valves and eventually rot the leadpipe. In other words, a typical student horn.