Rust on valve?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Beau Kemp, Nov 1, 2005.

1. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    I've got a 30 year old cornet with stainless valves (casings and ports) and they're still bright and new. I think these're nickel but Ed may be right about it being a deposit..backed up by what tptr 1 says. Send the pics to Brett...

Regards,

Trevor

PS I use an orthodontic paste to clean insertion marks on my mouthpieces all the time. Be careful on valves though.

2. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I think "rust' is an inaccurate term. I'm not sure, but I think the word rust only applies to oxidation on steel. I can't see the pics on my machine, but I can guess what they look like. It very well could be what Toots said... an buildup from the parafin base of the Cass oil. Or it could be what is called "gauling". That happens when the allow in the valve has too much tin in it. That causes it to pick up brass from the valv casing, turning parts of it a greenish brown. You can polish that off also using toothpaste or lava soap.

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    "gauling" is the French word for "galling". ROFLMAO~!!

4. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Ha. Good one, Toots. Spelling isn't my strong suit.

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Mike (and anyone else).. if you want to see his pictures, do a right click and then copy the properties for each picture. Paste that link into the address bar and "voila" (another French word), the photo will appear. It'll also show up on the original post after that.