Rusted Tubings

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GijsVis, Aug 26, 2012.

1. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    I have pulled the slides out of an old horn of me, and they are very damaged with rust (or whatever it is), it's the blue blackish stuff that makes the slides stuck. But anyway, I want to refurnish them, so they slide nice and smooth again. But I don't know how to do it without making scratches or damage, a friend of mine tried it with the sanding, hard part of a sponge, and his horn is all scratched up now. Any suggestions?

2. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I use a light gauge steel wool with a little petroleum. Metal can stand a polishing. Do not ever use sand paper. It is a no no!

3. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Okay, thanks, but why do you add some petroleum?

4. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    It doesn't take much. It makes the rust easier to remove. I also use WD 40 sometimes on the inside tubing. It helps breakdown rust, but can damge lacquer, so I'm told. I've never had problem with it. Steel wool comes in heavy, Medium and light gauge. I'd buy medium and light, just in case it is more rust than usual. I usually will start making small movements circular in motion to polish. It becomes routine.

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Clean all the old dried grease off, then use a Blitz Valve and Slide Care cloth. Avoid abrasives, they remove metal.