Rutter Gloria

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tpter1, Oct 6, 2006.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Anyone have any experiences with this piece? I have to perform it in December (got hired yesterday) and would like to know what I need to prepare for before my part (2nd trumpet) arrives. C trumpets, yes?

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I have played this a few times. It is a nice work and C trumpet works perfectly for it. You'll have a great time Glenn. It is pretty straight forward with some tempo changes, but nothing really tricky on the trumpet. Enjoy!

3. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Make sure you remember the basic rule when playing for a choral conductor:

When he shows you the palm of his hand, it means to "play louder."

;-)

4. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    C trumpets?
    Yes (and that is speaking as a Brit!)

Be careful of the last page (especially the top) and pray that your conductor is able to give a clear beat (last time I did this piece we couldn't see the conductor - somebody thought it was a good idea to put the brass behind the choir:dontknow: - we all followed the principal trumpet, who was vaguely close to the organist).

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Last time I played it the conductor started conducting rhythms instead of a beat pattern. I wasn't playing first so I just followed. It came out ok but I hate when that happens.

6. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Choir directors tend to do that, unfortunately......

Argggghhhhhhhhh!

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    There are some tricky time and tempo changes and modern rhythmic stuff that most choral conductors and church choirs can't hang with usually. It is more about being thoroughly prepared on your part, understanding what is going on in the big picture and hope the conductor makes it. Try not to look at him/her at those tricky junctions if it is really bad and hope the band can keep it together by finding the downbeats. :D (it wouldn't be so funny if it weren't true!)

8. timcates

timcates Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2004
    Texas - USA
    an addendum to the volume comment - when working with choirs, I always start with a agressive interpretation (NOT overdone) of the dynamics - then WHEN the conductor asks for less, you have plenty of room on the bottom end of things to accomodate them - nothing worse than hanging yourself out to dry by starting out one dynamic softer than marked, and then being asked to play even softer....

TC

9. patdublc

patdublc Pianissimo User

Jul 20, 2006
    Salisbury, MD
    I've played it several times on both 1st & 2nd parts. As others have stated, the music is not tricky at all. But, there are a couple of pyramid sections that require some attention. I can't agree more about the choral conductors. Each time I've played it, the choral group had been rehearsing for weeks or months. Then, they bring the instrumentalists in at the last minute. By that point, the choral conductor & choir are set in their ways and may not provide everything that the newbies are hoping for in terms of direction. I'm not dissing any of them that I've worked with because each show was really well done. It's just a little extra tough if you've only got one or two chances to read the piece and can not decipher the movements.

I finally got it after I listened to the recording enough times to actually hear all of the entrances. That would be my advice - become very familiar with a recording - especially if you can find one conducted by Rutter.

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    When I do these choir things I usually have one rehearsal and the concert the next day. They never send the music in advance. There are a lot of times that I have never heard of the music. I'm not the best reader in the world and then the conductor can't conduct. It's rough out there and getting rougher.