Rutter Gloria

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tpter1, Oct 6, 2006.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I think they have it in there head to ask us to play softer before the rehearsal starts. The next one I do I'm going to try your idea.

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Oh, I hear ya' B15M. Most of the time it is the same for me. I have gotten into the habit of ALWAYS having my piccolo with me because invariably they say, "While you're here, can you play this? and this? and what about this"? If you don't have parts ahead of time, you have to look the part over keenly and mark all possible traps, accidentals, etc. before and during rehearsal. Developing reading skills is the same as transposition. The more you do it, the more comfortable you become.

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    ROFL I about fell on the floor when I read that, Alex. I've worked with this conductor before...and I will not be watching...he is just too unclear at times.

I think we have the benfeit of 2 rehearsals before 2 performances, but the choir is, of course, working it now.

Thank you all. I think I'll try and find a recording; that was a good idea.

4. aneel

aneel Pianissimo User

Sep 28, 2006
    vienna
    I remeber playing two versions of this work, one for brass ensemble, the other for orchestra. Needless to say the brass ensemble version was more tiring. Found the piece woorked well on B-flat ( the first and last movements are in that key). This piece is a good blow
    and I`m sure you`ll have alot of fun playing it!

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I'm sorry about steeling the thread but I can't stop.

Alex,

You hit on another one:
    Why can't they tell me what I'm playing? I don't want to bring all of my trumpets. I have been stuck before because I just brought a b flat. I started asking the contractor what he had in mind for me and he seemed angry that I asked so, I'm back to bringing the trumpets. I really have it down to a B flat and a C and a Picc. I could probably leave the B flat at home but I play second a lot and I like to play what the first guy is playing.

6. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Hmmm...just a suggestion, B15. Maybe (and take it or leave it if you don't want to play hardball) you could suggest that (at the gig) if they want other pieces, your fee is $X per extra piece. Might come off as obnoxious, might result in more money, might cause you to not get called by that person or might cause them to be more up front next time. The bottom line is, you are a contractor there. If I hire a contractor to do a job on my house then ask for extra work ("Oh, by the way, we need new doors hung after you build the deck"), I would get charged extra for the extra work. I don't see why this is much different. But, it's happened to me, too. And I don't have the gumption to do that.

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I get paid by the hour or the job not the piece. They rarely tell me what I'm playing so I would have no way of knowing weather it's extra or included.

I wouldn't ask for more money on a job anyway. I don't think it's good business practice in our field.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  8. patdublc

patdublc Pianissimo User

Jul 20, 2006
    Salisbury, MD
    You just never know what is going to happen. I've gotten in the habit of carrying Bb, C, & picc to all legit type of gigs. A good example - last May, the Pastor of a local church called me and asked if I could play for a couple of services. He had planned a patriotic theme and he wanted to add some fanfare style ornamentation to a couple of hymns. The choir had the week off, so I knew it would just be the organist (who is excellent) and me.

Easy gig, right? As I walked in the church that morning, the organist said that they also had a vocal soloist and wanted to know if I could accompany him on a solo piece. and, then I heard the words "Handel" and "Trumpets Shall Sound". Not really that tough of a piece, but no rehearsal and I had never met the vocalist, so I had no idea what to expect. Oh, and did I mention, they didn't have the trumpet part? I scrounged around in my large music folder that I always carry to this type of gig & found the D-trumpet part.

It had actually been a few years since I had played the piece. So, I got out my picc & studied the transposition from D for a few minutes. To wrap up this story, it went nearly perfect.