S E Shires files for bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Apr 19, 2014.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
  2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Wow, I can't help but wonder what that will do to the value of my 1580G Blessing trumpet. It certainly can't change the quality or character of the horn.

3. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
  4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
  5. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I haven't worked with shires for a few years now since becoming an Adams artist.

But I'm sure any warranty issues will be handled via Shires.

6. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Absolutely

7. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    That article worries me - Blessing already imported Lausmann mouthpieces from Germany, so if more "production" is shifted to Blessing's "German partners", that's not a bad thing.
    But they only mention "Asia", not Taiwan [where many Blessing student horns were made] or China outright...
    Other parts of the States? Sounds like Conn moving to Abilene...
    Elkhart would remain a "design center"? Sounds like Nirschl - Meister Walter reviews designs and assembles the prototypes in Germany, but the horns are made in China [some are Weril-Brazil products or joint ventures with an Indian firm]. And for some reason, Elkhart is on the bell...?!

Now for my [hacked-up] opinion:
    I can't say I blame Powell Flutes entirely, since the market is extremely unkind to "large" brass makers - Blessing made hundreds of thousands [?] of Scholastic trumpets [or Bach 1530/TR300, more-or-less], back in the second half of the 20th century, but I doubt that would be profitable now.

If I had to guess, if Blessing tried making cheap student horns in Elkhart, having lower-paid trainees build them with lower tolerances [ala Kanstul before they decided it unprofitable], cheaper materials, and a "quantity" goal, these new horns would probably do poorly compared to a Hoxon or KHS model. Why? The Taiwanese firms sell in bulk more often, and lower-pay helps with the final price - and they still profit.
    Blessing would use up funds better spent elsewhere if they tried to re-introduce the old Scholastic, and they still aren't as "favorable" as the venerable Ambassador or useful Director, because they weren't always as good in the first place...and no amount of moral support will magically become cash...

However, the official stance seems to be indecisive. Maybe things will turn for the better, and this is just a scare. Or, things will go much worse, and Powell will throw Blessing to the Chinese firms, and "unlicensed" stencils of Blessing models will turn up soon. At least the boneheads at Conn-Selmer haven't shut down the Eastlake plant, and things over there seem stable...

And of course, Colonel Charles G. Conn himself started the Elkhart Truth paper...

8. Jan Harvey

Jan Harvey New Friend

Oct 26, 2014
    Prior to bankruptcy, Mr. Shires and others reached out to other musical instrument brands like Yamaha, Steinway-Selmer, Jupiter Band Instruments and Buffett Music Group that might have been interested in S.E. Shires.

9. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Thank you Jan Harvey and welcome to ™

You sound as if you know quite a bit about this.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    This is too bad. I hope that somehow they manage to continue to produce instruments - I'd hoped to maybe one day put a Shires trumpet in my hands.