Sacred trumpet solos

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by gzent, Jan 19, 2004.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I'm looking for some trumpet and organ prelude music for playing in church. It should be fairly reverent, but not a fanfare or voluntary.
    Any recommended individual sheets or books would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    What about Prayer for Saint Gregory?

I also noticed John Head (former 1st trumpet in Atlanta) has come out with a new book. He has the two wedding books that are great. This book is sacred music for trumpet and organ. (I think) Not just music appropriate for weddings. Check it out.

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Thanks TM.
    I'm not having any luck finding the new Sacred music book by John Head that you referred to. Do you know where I might look for the exact title?

Greg

4. MrV

MrV New Friend

Jan 27, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA USA
  5. MartinRooney

MartinRooney New Friend

Feb 27, 2004
    Boston MA
    Wallace/Head's new book is:

Timeless Music for Wedding & Special Occasions, which I found at

http://www.universitymusichouse.com/.

In addition to the 2 wedding books, they also have a book of Christmas music.

6. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    Prayer for St. Anthony-pipe organ accomp.

This is a nice piece.....

I have performed this piece as a "back-up" number for our organist numberous times....

Although when first listening to this piece of music..., one at first get the impression that it should be a rather easy piece of music to play, but in fact....to perform this music well, especially with a pipe organ with lots of power..(or an organist that likes to make it a cutting contest, let me assure you that this St. A can be truly be a challenge.
    It starts off simple enough and heart felt with those crying big low dense full trumpet voicing...but if played as written, it builds in its emotion and density, that is almost too resistable for any organist or trumpet player to ignor....(thankfully, the organ allows our chops....some short pauses for the blood to start flowing again. for that nice upper regal upper register portion that really can fill a hall with resultant overtones, so it if imparative that both the organist and trumpet...utilize CONTRASTS...starting from the GET-GO!
    This piece is ever so passionate...but ever so challenging to make a successful performance and out of about a half doz times I have performed this...
    I can honestly say that I have only had one successful performance in really nailing this piece of music.

My horn of choice for this annoited piece of music.....has always been my Callet Symphonique .470 C horn. The arrangement for the pipe organ...makes this not only a perfect key choice but also allows my Symphonique C amazing projection power, with the ability to really sound bold, bright, regal....without going shrill or brassy, like so many C instruments voicing tends to illustrate, when playing above the staff at FFF PEDAL TO THE METAL.

I wish you the best of luck in your quest to keep your organist in check...to prevent this song from turning into a CUTTING CONTEST. :)
    Don't let this frighten you.....especially if your heart is in the right place, don't let this become a performance or a cutting contest....
    It goes without saying but sooooooo important.
    Remember that this is yours and the organists gift..Forget self and just give this over to the Lord.... a silent prayer....helps...for than we know....
    Thanks be to you, Jesus....this one is for your as our gift in adoration.
    Thy will be done, on this platform in front of the fold..as it is in heaven! "THIS ONES FOR YOU!" and may the old "chopperooo's hold out for the ending.... :) :oops:

7. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    BBD,

Which arrangement of Prayer for Saint Anthony?

Greg