Sacrifices for Trumpet Practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Nov 9, 2010.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I do a TON of music prep with recordings and my iPod is an indispensible tool for this. Just today I was prepping for a vocal harmony part I have to record in the studio on Wednesday. (Nothing terribly fancy here - a friend's basement studio, but it's a VERY capable studio - I'll probably record my vocals in a sound treated room with an AKG C414 going through an Avalon preamp and being mixed in Digital Performer)

I also record things in my own home studio and critque them while driving, and I listen back to the board feed recordings from the Sunday services to critique what I did on the drums with the praise band. I also listen to songs I need to know for upcoming gigs. I've become a big believer in recording and listening to your recordings and other music as a means to learn and prep music. I have an hour commute each way and I try to make the most of it.

2. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I never really understood the time cop out, when I was trying to get a band together. There were so many people that didn't have time. But, they would show up if you had beer...

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    This is one of my biggest frustrations in the worship band scene. My thought is that if you are going to commit to it then do it right. I keep getting the whole "they are all volunteers and have lives, and blah blah blah...." Ok - if it's such a burden and you don't have the time to do it right or at least practice a little bit before you come to rehearsal so you aren't wasting my time by learning music at the rehearsal, then bow out - quit.

Step up or step out - seems to be a good motto don't you think? :D

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I echo you thoughts. When I hear that excuse, I look at them and say "Me too! Yet I am here"! We have a percussionist who is talented but pops in and out because of his "job". Haven't seen or heard from him since July! So he's due to reappear shortly. The other guys that play percussion quit stepping up because when he did show up, he would remove their equipment and put his own in place. IF I was in charge, he would be out. It's maddening when I know all the words and vocal harmonies to a song and the song singer (can't call them a leader, their just in charge) doesn't.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Really good responses. I'll just add, you waste more time than you realize, most of us do.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    YES! Absolutely.

As I got older and my family started to grow, and other responsibilities started to pile up and the demands on my time also grew, I realized too late how much time I completely wasted in my younger years when I had far fewer responsibilities.

These days I'm squeezing a lot of stuff in when I can. Just the other day I started to practice trumpet, and something came up where I had to go take care of something or be Mr. Taxi for the kids, so I had to get in my practice time with little focused bursts of 15 minutes or so here and there. Maybe not ideal, but I did get the time in - probably 90 minutes worth that day, simply by grabbing what time I had and making good use of it.

On any given day, considering that I drum for one band, and I play trumpet and sing for another, on top of my maintenance practice I'm usually in the process of learning or repolishing a handful of songs that I know I'm going to have to do for the upcoming weekend of playing. The worship band usually plays 6-8 songs per service and I'm often learning a new song behind the kit, sometimes with as little as 3 days of time between the time I get the new song until I have to have it ready on Sunday morning. Then there are the songs I sing with the wedding band - I had to learn a new song for first dance last Saturday, and I need to put the harmony vocal on the backing tracks this week - our girls didn't bother to learn it last week. I also drummed for a different church, but I didn't find out until Saturday, so I learned a whole song and brushed up a couple of others behind the kit on Saturday when I had the time to do it.

That's all on top of a full time job, owning a home, being a husband and father of two, blah blah blah...you get the picture. It keeps me hopping, but the point I'm trying to make is that you can find the time if you look hard enough.

7. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
  8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Hey John7401 - If you could take the time to come back here on down the road and let us know what you did and how it turned out, I would really appreciate it.

I favor the old adage - Busy people get busier. Find a way now to make it all fit, by being efficient and focused. Be one who graduates from high school with an education and the ability to be a kick-a$$ musician too.

9. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    Time management is the key concept. It is amazing what can be accomplished if one puts one's mind to it.

Students in our area take band, youth orchestra, sports and up to and including 5 to 6 AP classes but still get it all done successfully.

Many claim there is not enough time. In most cases it comes down to what is important to you (as well as your parents).

I still go by the old adage "If you want something done right, go find the busiest person you know!"

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida