Saddles vs Rings

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Nov 4, 2006.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    How many people have used a trumpet with the 1st ring saddle for a long time? NOW, how many of you have bought a new horn with a 1st slide ring? Was it hard to make the adjustment?

There are many trumpets that I would love to try out, however, they have the rings instead of the saddle. My thumb does not sit in the saddle, it rests on the valve casing, so that makes having a ring seem difficult to co-operate with. I had a Vintage One with a ring (I didn't like the feel of it - I sold it anyway cause I didn't like the horn). I have played this way for as long as I can remember so buying a new horn with a saddle is very important to me but like I said there are horns I want to try that have the rings.

Are there ways around it? Do some companies give the option of rings or saddles?

Thanks
    Eric

2. KJaeger

KJaeger Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2004
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Kanstul will do either saddle or ring for you - I am ordering a new 1510A C trumpet through Pick Music in Pa and there was no difference in cost between the two options (Same goes for choice between Amado or standard water keys).
    I prefer a 1st valve ring rather than a saddle because I work the 1st valve slide alot, and I have to stretch my thumb too much to do that with a saddle. But like I said, there would have been no extra charge for a saddle - just the standard waiting time for the horn to be built at the factory since they would be making it your specs.
    My Bach Bb has a saddle and I played that for 20 years before getting a Kanstul Bb with a ring, and it was no sweat to make the switch. But since it doesn't appear you use the 1st slide alot by your description, you may prefer the saddle option. Either way, Kanstul makes it pretty easy to customize to what you want if you don't mind waiting a few weeks for them to build it.

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Hi Eric. Of course many companies will offer to do whatever you ask; it just adds to the delivery time! When I was checking out Schilke about 3 years back I tried four different models, one of which was S32. The S-series has the ring. It felt like putting on a glove to me; the horn felt like it was locked onto my hand, "part of me" if you will... it provided a very intimate feel. Someone has suggested that the thumb ring can make it more cumbersome to change mutes quickly though... which is a concern to many.

I ended up buying the B1 (saddle) but if I were ordering a new one instead of "what was in stock at the moment", (B-series) I think I'd spec the ring; it just felt "right" somehow. Having said that, I leave my thumb IN the saddle at all times and I'm sure that I could get used to the ring. Probably should have asked for a ring when I was ordering my Eclipse but..........

I think that more critical than "ring or saddle", is ensuring that the 3rd ring and 1st saddle (or ring) are positioned where they are comfortable for YOUR hand size and preferred position. I have long hands, and find that the "standard" position is just fine for my "Vulcan grip". I've known those with small hands, however, and they do benefit from having the ring/saddles positioned more closely to the valve block.

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Eric- Lawler gives you the option of either. If your hand position dictates saddle, then go saddle. I had a saddle and went to a ring, and like the ring much better. But, that's what works for me.

5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    If you know a decent repairman, ANY make could be available with either.

I have used both (and triggers, but that is another discussion) and don't find it difficult to change between them - no real preference.

6. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Definitely a ring girl here. :-)

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I have a large knuckle on my thumb.

It does not fit in a Schilke or Conn V 1 ring.

A saddle for me. I even had to have Leigh McKinney make the saddle larger on my Eclipse MS.

-cw-

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have instruments with both. I feel no real difference. I also have a large knuckle on my thumb. I just ordered a bigger ring.

9. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    Ring vs Saddle

Having grown up with the saddle set ups, they feel quite natural to me. I'm sure this is just conditioning and familiarity. I have a couple of horns with 1st slide rings and have no problem switching back and forth. I do have small hands and fingers so this may have something to do with it.

A friend of mine definitely prefers the ring. He had rings put on all of his horns.

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

10. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    How about a trigger?