Saddles vs Rings

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Nov 4, 2006.

1. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    ICK! I know you love 'em, but I can't stand the trigger. I'm a saddle guy, but the rings never bothered me too much so long as they were large enough to get my thumb easily and quickly into and out of.

2. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    No real preference

I played the same Yamaha with a saddle for 20 years, then bought a Vintage One. The ring is large enough that I have no problems with mute changes and it's very comfortable. I did borrow a King Silversonic while I had the Yamaha's valves replated and the ring was too far away from the valve casing for my taste. I found this very uncomfortable, the horn on the other hand was fun to play (though wore me out the first week or so since it was a large bore horn).

Never used a horn with a trigger other than just trying one out. I can't believe it causes less horn movement than a saddle / ring as long as their well maintained.

Greg

3. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit

Two of my horns have triggers and my Bach C has the saddle.

I prefer the saddle because of my large hands. Just seems more natural. The trigger on my Cornet is fine; but on my Bb Silverflair I have trouble with it digging into my right thumb when I use it as I place my right thumb in between the 1st and second valves.

I can't imagine using a horn with a first slide ring. My thumbs are huge! It would have to be one hell of a ring. So I guess I'm a saddle guy. :lol:

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Doesn't matter to me. the only problem I have with 1st valve triggers (my cornet has one) is that if I play with my thumb resting on it, I can't operate the 3rd slide ring smoothly. Solution? Use the 1st valve slide to adjust 1-3 and 1-2-3 combinations. With all this talk about triggers and saddles, I wonder when Roy Rogers will be brought up? Looks like it just happened.:D