Sadness reading 1969 Buescher catalog

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VetPsychWars, Apr 18, 2014.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    So I saw some Buescher catalogs on ebay and the one that intrigued me the most was the 1969 catalog. What instruments did it include? How was the positioning? Who were they marketing to?

Alas, there was one trumpet and one cornet. They didn't even bother to label them "Aristocrat" since there was no 400. And the language? All about how Buescher (really Bach [Selmer], at this point) was interested in producing instruments that the band director would approve of.

Sad to see a company that only a few years earlier was marketing to adults, if not professionals, pandering to the band director, not even the parents.

Now, mind you, I don't believe the trumpet or cornet was any different than 1963 or 1966, but you'd be hard-pressed to say, at least by the marketing materials, that the Buescher trumpet was anything but a student horn.

I did note with some interest that they were offering the 400 saxophones, in many ways unchanged from a decade before, but I'm not a sax expert.

Tom

2. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    By the early 2000s, Buescher was squarely a student horn [a Hoxon Gakki stencil similar to the Bach TR600 Aristocrat].

3. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    By that point, it was a name that Conn-Selmer slapped onto whatever it felt like.

At least in 1969 it was still the original factory for some of it.

A former Bach employee once wrote me and said that there is a lot of Buescher tooling still around, rusting away on a shelf.

Tom

4. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    There is still hope if the tooling hasn't been scrapped yet [depends on when this employee was there] - at least it still exists, unlike the old Conn tooling

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Tooling rusting away is the sad part to me. Couldn't it be purchased?

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Well, today's owners have to agree to a sale... and new good Bueschers on the market would just cut their own share of the market...

7. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    The same person told me that the Bach 184 cornet was based on the Buescher 400. Must be a really nice cornet if that's true. I know Dale likes his a lot.

Tom