Sail the Seven C's vs Jerome Callet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by treedup, Jan 11, 2009.

1. treedup

treedup New Friend

Jan 2, 2009
    Red Hill, Pennsylvania
    Can anyone provide input into Clyde Hunt's, "Sail the Seven C's" vs. Jerome Callet's methods in regard to improving range? I am definitely looking to improve my range - (high C is as good as it gets and it could be better). I got back into playing a couple of months ago and have been practicing daily for about 45 minutes a shot. I just want to make sure technique, tone and intonation are not sacrificed to more easily play in a higher register.

2. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Read a backlog of Rowuk's posts

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Treedup,
    I will make this short:
    NO METHOD GIVES YOU HIGH RANGE.
    Intelligent, adequate practice is the answer!

If you are up to high C and that is the end of the road, forget about Double C until you have gotten your breathing together and an intelligent daily routine in place. 45 minutes daily is good enough for a usable high C or D. Twice that if applied intelligently could get a reliable F or G. Most players do not have the discipline for double C.

The daily routine monitored by a decent teacher is the fastest way to get yourself together.

If you don't believe me, buy both books and let us know how frustrated you are after 6 months or so. They both work within a good, structured practice routine of sufficient length.

The wording of your post is an indication that your money would be better spent on Arban, Clarke and Earl Irons.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Treedup,

I have the Clyde Hunt Sail the Seven Cs, and followed the programme for some time - it didn't improve my range one bit - that came with time and practice (scales if truth be known). What Clyde Hunt did for me was to educate me on what range is available if you practice - but it did improve my tone - a lot. CH has an interesting 11 page dissertation in his publication - strangely enough about practising rather than range, and he has something to say about pedal tones if that is of any use to you.

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Listen to rowuk. Do you have access to a good teacher? It's the only way to be sure you don't develop bad habits.

6. treedup

treedup New Friend

Jan 2, 2009
    Red Hill, Pennsylvania
    Thanks all for your insight.

I do the following...a 10 minute warm-up comprised of long tones, slurring and some tonguing, nothing above an E. I then move into 5 - 10 minutes of lip slurs using Charles Colin's Advanced Lip Flexibilities book. This is then followed by a page of Clarke's Technical Studies which I started pretty slow and have picked up my speed. I'm also working on double tonguing w/ Arbans (need a lot of work in this area) and then a couple of etudes from Sigmund Hering. That's pretty much the routine. I am also taking lessons from a teacher who got me into this routine a couple of months ago and who is also working extensively on getting me to breathe correctly - I'm very happy w/ the progress I've made in 2 months. I was never much of a high register player and double high C is pretty much an afterthought. Solid command of a high G (double or whatever above the high C) is a goal of mine. I was also doing Carmine Caruso's calisthenics in the morning for 10 - 15 minutes but got away from this a couple of weeks ago. Just trying to be as solid as possible and working to get better every day.

30 years ago in high school, my goal was to be the Lead Dog, now it's to get as good as I can and have fun while doing it.

7. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Treedup....your last sentence is more than enough for a goal. Especially the last 4 words!!! In cycling a lot of my team mates get so wrapped up in "you have to train this way for this specific thing". This is true, but my constant underlying question for them is "are you having fun?". If they just stare at me I know the answer is no. IMHO...as long as you're having fun with your playing, along with a good practice routine that your teacher has you doing, then what more could you ask for?! The alternative is NOT playing & how much fun would that be?!

Think about it...

8. HOFBUGLE

HOFBUGLE New Friend

May 3, 2009
    I know this is a very old thread, but I feel I must mention, because this is an age old question, that along with the most important advice of diligent and intelligent practice, it is important to find equipment that fits you.
    Finding equipment that fits you can give you so much more out of all the practice you do, as opposed to practice solely to overcome ill-fitting equipment.
    I see the original poster lists a Bach 1C mouthpiece. That may be too big for this player. The common wisdom for many years was to play on the largest possible mouthpiece you can. Many people took this to mean the "largest mouthpiece available" and in some cases it is just a point of being macho to play on a huge mouthpiece.
    Many pros now recommend playing on the smallest mouthpiece that you can comfortably play on. Note: not the smallest available.
    Also, the relationship of the construction of the instrument and how it matches with the construction of the mouthpiece and how you play has a HUGE influence on range and endurance.
    Many people simply have mismatched equipment for the way they play. Some people NEED resistance, some less so.
    I have seen in my almost 50 years of playing that the most success comes from a very open horn and a tight backbore on the mouthpiece and a medium shallow cup. Doesn't work for everyone, though.
    AGAIN, no substitute for proper practice, but while you're practicing search for that perfect fit and you will be pleasantly surprised.
    One last item. A small mouthpiece is NOT a panacea. Outside of range and endurance, almost everything else is more difficult, i.e. good tone, flexibility, articulation. However, if you practice to master those items with the added range and endurance achieved for proper fitting equipment, I feel your playing experience will be much more satisfying.

9. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    I studied with Jerry many years back. I think that he does skype lessons. I know Bob Civilletti does lessons through Skype. As far as Clyde Hunt, I have used his book and it is a very sensible approach. I don't play much at this time however. I have also worked with Bob and he is much better at getting his concepts across.
    Jerry is very knowledgable but sometimes he is hard to understand. He has a hard time getting to the point. Likes to tell stories. That said the best thing is to find a teacher and take lessons. If you can't find one in your area try contacting Bob Civilletti or Jerry and do them over the internet. It's money well spent!