Salsa-Mambo-ChaChaCha

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, May 18, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I directed this question specifically to Ray Vega in a recent post, and I'm hoping to hear more from him. He recommended a book called "Trumpeta". My question was about music/exercise books that specialized in the art of playing in all Latin/Latin-Jazz styles. Perhaps other TM brethren have recommendations?

2. Daniel Nole

Daniel Nole New Friend

Mar 29, 2007
    Switzerland
    Hi: about salsa or Cuban music ,there was a book writed by a young skilled Italian trumpet player,but I dont remember exactly the tittle.Many of the characteristics and parameters in the style Big-Band are applicable for performances in Combos of latin music; one of the notable differences in Salsa combos ,not always the harmonie are supported by Sax sessions, mainly(and depending style and arrangements), you have there only a Barytone Sax or a single Tenor.The work come to the piano and(or) the Tres.
    To have a classic aproach of good typical Salsa arrangements and undestand the trumpets and trombones style work,I recomend you to try to find some recordings of Oscar D`Leon.

Regards

Daniel:play:

Olds L-12 Flugelhorn

3. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Thanks Daniel, I will look for Oscar D' Leon's recordings, and I'll try to find that Italian's book. The responses to this thread are coming slow, but I hope there will be more.

4. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Hello:

Here are a few suggestions I can provide you:

As in learning any new language it is important that you listen to the greats. A great resource for finding the best music at an inexpensive price is Descarga.com: Home

I would get recordings from Chocolate Armenteros( especially "En el Rincon" and "Lo mejor De Chocolate"), Chappotin, Aragon, and Cachao(especially 1950's "Cuban Jamm Session" Recording, Cubanismo, Sierra Maestra.

There are also a couple of play along resources which are just great:

1. "Muy Caliente" afro-Cuban Play Along and CD published by Sher Music......Features Rececca Mauleon on Piano comps.

2. "Afro Cuban Bass and Keyboard Grooves" by Manny Patino and Jorge Moreno.....distributed by Sam Ash Music.

3. "Salsa Latin Jazz" vol. 64 by Jamie Aeborsold. Especially the track with montunos played ii/v7/1 progression.

There is a book written by Gabriel Rosati called "Salsa Trumpet". Its available thru Sheet Music Plus - World's Largest Selection of Sheet Music, Scores, Songbooks, and Guitar Tab This book is very good in explaining how to play salsa music and is very good for someone who is new to the music and needs guidance and explanations.

Other things you can do to get inside this music is to start taking percussion lessons.....learn how to play the congas and the clave. You may also consider taking some dance lessons......this also comes with additional non-musical benefits!

The book "trompeta" which Ray suggested for you is a good history book and was written as a thesis by the writer. It mostly concentrates on the biography and discography of Chocolate Armenteros. There are few(just one partially transcribed solo) musical examples of Chocolate's playing. That book is most beneficial if you combine it with listening to his recordings.

Good luck and enjoy!

Oscar Onoz

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  5. Ray Vega

Ray Vega Pianissimo User

Thank you Oscar----You said it all.

Before buying books about latin trumpet playing or salsa high notes or whatever, First immerse yourself in the sounds of the masters.

You can't play 20's era Jazz trumpet and NOT deal with Pops or Bix.
    If you're going to play "Swing"----You can't over look Charlie Shavers, Roy Eldridge, and Harry James. Well, you can over look them and then you'll sound like 95% of the so-called "swing" bands that were popular 10 years ago. The majority of these bands displayed a total disregard of the masters that made that music great. The suits looked great---the music was not.
    You can't play bebop trumpet if you've ignored Dizzy, Miles, Fats, KD, Red Rodney, Howard McGee.
    You can't play modern and ignor Freddie Hubbard and Woody Shaw.
    The only way to differentiate between genres is to be immersed in the stlyes to the point where the small nuances and subtleties clearly define the differences.

This holds true for latin music as well.

The roots of what is known as salsa today comes from Cuban music.
    Open your minds to the sounds of Cuban Masters like:
    Felix Chappotin
    El Negro Vivar
    Florecita
    Alfredo "Chocolate" Armenteros
    Manuel "El Guajiro" Mirabal
    Jorge Varona

Check out NYC masters like:
    Victor Paz
    Roberto Rodriguez
    Ray Maldonado
    Hector Zarzuela
    Rene Lopez
    Larry Spencer

Check out Puerto Rican masters like:
    Juancito Torres (check out his myspace site)
    Luis Perico Ortiz
    Piro Rodriguez

Please understand that if you're into learning about latin trumpet playing, your journey should start in Cuba.

iPods can be a drag----everybody puts 1200 records on their iPod and then they don't really listen to anything. We must be able to engage in inteligent thought if we're going to attain any real information from any recording.

Have fun listening!
    Peace-

6. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    talcito and Ray, NOW WE'RE TALKING! You've provided exactly what I was looking for. I printed out all your suggestions and can't wait to get familiarized with it all. I've already done some of the things Ray suggested, especially the dancing. Thanks to both of you and your music.........tom/crowmadic

7. Ray Vega

Ray Vega Pianissimo User

Tom,
    You nailed it man!
    I try to get the members of my college band to go out and experience people dancing to this music. Learning to dance to this music will only help you in understanding the groove element of this music.

8. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Ray, Mucho gusto! Just in case I got that wrong...tante grazie.....tom