Salvaging a crap day

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VetPsychWars, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    These days happen. For me the most consistently associated factor was how hard/long I played the day before. I found that a longer warm up can help. I also revise my expectations way down when it happens. Shorter session, nothing really difficult, less work in general, more breaks, longer breaks, no particular attachment to outcomes. If possible, several short sessions through the day. If preparing a solo piece that's long, I'll take plenty of breaks. Concentrate on phrases in the piece, short ones, with breaks in between. Do Clark studies at low volume. Just make some sound and don't worry to much about anything really. Sometimes it actually gets better to the point of almost a normal day. Be careful not to overdo it, however, less the following day be even worse.

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I think in the days where we use to put in 4-5 hours a day on the horn those variations weren't as noticable but nowdays in the 1-2 hour zone... welllll
    Still as frustrating as that is I will side with those who say to play songs and do what you can do. Those vintage Bueschers of yours have a killer core sound in any register .. dig on that ... throw on an Aebersold track and doodle.
    I started running recently and the added lung strength has helped my playing ... like tongueing ( go figure).. so I am pretty sure being tired affects the chops.

3. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    All work ,and no playing makes jack a sorry Trumpeter :evil:

Dean_0

4. strad116055

strad116055 Pianissimo User

May 27, 2014
    chicago
    check out the urban agnas warn up videos on youtube. first of all, he does this routine daily. a daily routine makes for fewer bad days. you most likely already have a routine of your own, and i'm not suggesting you cop his. but besides that, notice his attitude. the first thing is that he has a concept of how he wants to approach the horn. then he ACCEPTS what comes out. he notices the difference between what he wants and what he's getting, but he doesn't get down on himself, and he doesn't futz around trying to do anything in particular to fix it. he keeps going back to his concept, and focuses on staying relaxed. he allows his body to make the small adjustments necessary to get back to his concept without getting in his own way.

5. lipnutz

lipnutz Pianissimo User

Dec 17, 2013
    I like this advice!