Sammy Davis Jr impersonates Louis Armstrong

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dow30, Nov 21, 2006.

1. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    The great imitator, Sammy. That's pretty much how he developed his singing style...imitating everyone. He was so good at it.

If you didn't know, there's a great book about his life - In Black and White. Really is a terrific insight to how he started and on up into stardom. It's not a glowing tribute, like some stories can be. It's definately an analytical look - sometimes good, sometimes bad...

Anyway..just putting it out there. It is a terrific read.

2. dow30

dow30 Piano User

Apr 26, 2005
    NY
    When I was in Jr. High or High school (can't remember), I read, Yes I can : [the story of Sammy Davis, Jr. / by Sammy Davis, Jr., and Jane & Burt Boyar] and did a book report, as I admired Sammy Davis Jr. very much. Hope this doesn't date me. ;-)

P.S. I have a bird Sammy, named after Sammy Davis Jr.

3. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    "Yes I Can," was the title of Sammy's big song in the show "Golden Boy." I played the pre-Broadway tryout of the show. Stan Fishelson and Renauld Jones Jr. were the other trumpets in the show. It was 1963, I think :dontknow:
    It was a fun time. Sammy and the show people hung out every night after the show.
    I was supposed to do the Broadway run, but things came up that prevented me from doing it.
    My book, the third book, had all the legit solos in it. I also had most of the high stuff. I have always regretted that missed chance.
    Sammy was a great guy.
    Wilmer