Sample video of me on my '67 Holton Collegiate

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ButchA, Oct 1, 2013.

1. ButchA

ButchA Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2009
    Richmond, Virginia
    Hey guys...

I made a quick You Tube video the other day of me with my old school band '67 Holton Collegiate trumpet playing on a Bach 3C mouthpiece. I am doing a version of the old Gershwin tune "Someone To Watch Over Me", and tried my best to play it as good as I could.

A couple of quick points...

• I am a "comeback player" and haven't been seriously playing or even practicing the basics in years.
    • I'm definitely not a pro or even a semi-pro. I am just me...
    • I have a complete upper denture plate.
    • Very recent: I was fighting off a cold in the video too. I must have picked it up from one of the little munchkins on my school bus.
    Lastly, the video is sort of a what-you-see-is-what-you-get type of thing. I just winged it and ramble on and say "you know" quite a few times. :oops: If you want to skip that section, jump ahead to about 1:55 or 2:00 in the video to see me actually playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkcyfhDu48

Advice? Suggestion? Constructive criticism?

Thanks.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Not bad...I'd suggest you work on long tones. Center the notes, support each note all the way to the end of the count, and work on a clean attack that hits the note dead center.

3. ButchA

ButchA Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2009
    Richmond, Virginia
    Thank you... That's what I was wondering. I have an Arban's book that I am going through little by little, so I can become a better player.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    You're welcome. Sorry you haven't gotten any more responses. I still hit Arban's almost every time I practice - in addition to the technical stuff, I sometimes spend time on the first few exercises just to make sure I remember to maintain a good, solid tone while I'm playing. If you're persistent, good things will come.

5. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    Sounds great. It appears to me that you have a solid concept of what you want to sound like. Long tones are it.

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Ditto Dale's post. Just go through the Arban exercises one by one, until you get beyond merely finding the notes, and can work on making them sound good!