Sanding the finish off a trumpet.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TomSchwartz, Feb 23, 2010.

1. TomSchwartz

TomSchwartz New Friend

Feb 23, 2010
    What would happen if you would sand the finish off of a trumpet? Would it ruin the horn? What would the sound be like?
    Thanks.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If it's lacquered, aircraft paint stripper will remove it. If it's plated (silver, for example), it's best removed by a plating company. Sanding will ruin the horn by removing some metal along with the finish. The sound produced by a raw brass horn is so little different from a lacquered or plated one, I wouldn't do it for that reason. That's my opinion, and I'm sure some will disagree...

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    What sort of finish are you sanding off?

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I have had great success at stripping lacquer off a Getzen 900H;

Dismantle, put the valves aside.
    Put the parts carefully into a tub and pour boiling water over. Let it sit, and it comes off like cellophane. Got the tip here, No Chemicals and no effort...easy as.

It may take a couple of hits with the water. Try a valve cap first to try it if you're not sure. for Silver plate? Sorry no experience there.
    Cheers

5. TomSchwartz

TomSchwartz New Friend

Feb 23, 2010

It's just gold. Ha. I don't know too much about trumpets. Its off a $300 yamaha. I wanted it for looks. I just use that trumpet for marching, pep band, and maybe a jazz/funk band that I will be joining this summer.

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Yamaha lacquer is epoxy based. Boiling water won't do the trick. You have to get a proper stripping product.

7. TomSchwartz

TomSchwartz New Friend

Feb 23, 2010
    It's a YTR 2335, if that makes any difference. How much would it cost me to get it removed or to do it myself?

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    There are a bunch of issues here. First, the "gold" color is the basic brass of the trumpet metal. It is covered with a clear epoxy (for Yamaha) coating. Second, if you are trying to achieve the "satin" look that is not shiny, sandpaper will not do it. It will not remove the epoxy except in a few spots and the trumpet will look all gnarly and beat up and crappy. If you are trying to achieve a certain look (unless you want crappy), you will need to take it to a shop that does custom finishes. It is very difficult to deal with brass and accomplish anything useful without a lot of experience. Also, once the epoxy coating is gone, the brass will tarnish and look even uglier than the sanded finish. It will completely ruin the horn. I hope this addresses your question adequately.

9. TomSchwartz

TomSchwartz New Friend

Feb 23, 2010
    I want it to look beaten up. If that makes sense to you. Will it ruin the horn sound wise or just the looks?

10. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hi, Tom!

Why not just get an already beaten up instrument?

You might try spray-painting it with some greenish or brownish paints or lacquers and achieve a similar effect. (I'm visuallizing a Punk Rock motif here, too bad a large safety pin through the bell would vibrate and buzz!)

I'm kidding about the safety pin!

Guy