Sanding Top layer of my horn.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Patric_Bernard, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    So I just finished the beginning of sanding the top layer off of my horn, I got most of the big sections and finished the bell, and I must say, I'm liking the looks of it. It was a brass laqcured cornet from Berkely Music. (got the horn for 200 off ebay so I'm not sweating a price loss or anything) I cant wait to finish up tomorrow and get to playing it. It looks really awesome right now, I'll post some pictures up when I'm Done.

2. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    So is this like a poor mans "shot or bead" blast finish :D Post pics when you are done.

3. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    ok here are some pics... not done yet as you will see. You can click to enlarge the pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Why did you choose to do this?

5. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Well I wanted to remove the laquer, and after seeing the stage 1 horn that someone posted on here, and saw the sanded look, i loved it haha. I'm gonna bead blast all of the hard to reach sections sometime later.

6. Blazing Asian

Blazing Asian Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    I was thinking about doing this...Could you explain in detail what exactly you are doing? What grain or sandpaper are you using?

7. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    well for the very top layer, and a very ruff finish at first, I used a 120 Grit paper. Then to smooth it out i switched to a 300 grit. It is very difficult to reach all of the small sections though, so you might not want to do this if you dont have a sand/bead blaster that you could use give the hard to reach sections the same look. I really love the sound it has now. Its a tad brighter than before, and I think a little more responsive.

8. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I'd like to share what I've done with some ebay horns I bought. I use a basic lacquer remover and dip a fine grade of steel wool into it then proceed to the raw brass. You can use rougher grades for different effects. The steel wool is more pliable than sandpaper and you can get into more corners. Why do this? Because it's there.....just kidding........I too like the above mentioned effects, and it's always an adventure to see how the sound changes. You should do this under parental guidence, even if you're as old and crazy as me!.....crow

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Make sure that ALL entry points to the horn are sealed before doing stuff like this. After that, completely wipe down and bathe the horn before unsealing!
    The laquer/metal dust that you are removing can wander into the horn and surprise you with a sticky valve right before something very special!

10. confuoco

confuoco Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2007
    How are you going to bead blast it. What equipment does that require? Good luck.