Sanding Top layer of my horn.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Patric_Bernard, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Remember that doing this is removing material from the horn. If you do it too much you can change the playing characteristics because you are thinning the walls of the brass.
    I am pretty sure scratch brushing is done with a buffing wheel made of thin brass wire.

2. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    For the bead blasting you just need a sand blaster, and then go out and buy some beads. They sell them at hardware stores I'm sure. and any Home Depot or Lowes will be sure to have them. There just really small plastic or metal beads. They fill up your sand blaster and then you just shoot those out instead of sand.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Your general store variety bead might be too hard for the brass. Be careful.

4. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Yeah... I would probably avoid the bead blasting. Even fine grit plastic beads leave a fairly rough surface on sheet metal when you media blast a car... and brass is much, much softer than sheet metal. A dremel with a fine grit rubber polishing tip will help you get in the hard to reach areas. Make sure you clean the hell out of the horn before putting it to use though! (not that I needed to tell anyone that)

5. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    What would you guys think about just a fine grade of sand blasting it? I think that would only take off the outer coating.