Sandoval Interview

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by Tootsall, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    The link below will take you to a rather lengthy (51 minutes!) "live" interview with Arturo Sandoval. It's well worth the listen ifyou have broadband. The interview was in connection to his recording of "Trumpet Evolution" .. one of my #1 favorite trumpet CDs. I know there are folks who decry his "copying" of others but consider this.. how darn talented must the man be to be ABLE to copy so faithfully the sounds and styles of so many of our Greats? I'm not a fan of all of his work (but then, I'm not a fan of ALL of ANYONE's work) but this is definitely a "keeper". One of my "desert island" CDs

http://www.theconnection.org/shows/2003/05/20030502_b_main.asp

2. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    Thanks for the link: beautiful....

Wow! Thanks for posting that link for a great lunch break.....The interviewer was pretty dense....but with such a great player and amazing human being....Sandoval made this time....pure gold!
    Nothing to me is quite as beautiful as Arturo's rendition of "I Remember Clifford. 8)

3. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Being a STOUT Harry James fan, I have only heard one and one man only, ever come close to reproducing the Harry James Feel---Arturo Sandoval.

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    It's kind of funny....not long ago (a month at most), one of the TV networks (might have been PBS) aired an hour long show about the old cars that the Cubans keep running. Old '57 Chevs, Dinosaur Cadillacs, 61 Plymouths...even stuff going back to the 50's and 40's. Their "underground" garages where they hand make parts or modify parts from other cars to keep their 'runner' on the road.

Ever few minutes I couldn't help but think back to that interview with Arturo talking about his brush-painted taxi! Hey...Don....why don't you call him up and offer an air-brush job in return for an hour or two of his time!

5. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I really enjoy Arturo's latin stuff. It's great. I've heard him live doing all that stuff and what a fun time.

I can't stand Arturo's "straight-ahead" jazz stuff. I heard him in Cali at the IAJE in Disneyland, and my professors and I just walked out. It was terrible. Loud, obnoxious, out of tune--kind of like going to a Maynard concert. And ok, he has talent to "copy" everybody else. So what? It's like Wynton. I love Wynton's stuff he did from the early 80's through the early 90's. But I would rather here Ellington do Ellington than Wynton do Ellington.

Just waiting for the Steel Cage.

--Kevin