Satellite radio.......

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by gregc, Jan 18, 2006.

1. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    So, my wife bought me a satellite radio and a 1 year subscription for Christmas. I recently installed it in my '05 Mini Cooper. I've never thought much about satellite radio and certainly was not looking for a subscription ($) radio provider.
    Much to my surprise, this thing is really cool. Having a huge range in commercial free music has me forgetting about the CD player in my car. Whether I'm in the mood for Classical music (3 channels, one for vocal material), some good jazz ( 4 channels of jazz & Blues sub-groups), or catching my favorite sports team, I always find something great to listen to.
    Should you get a chance to check it out, please do. I have Sirius. I imagine XM is similar though I know no details about it.
    The disk jocks seem pretty informed in their respective categories and I've caught quite a few good commentary/interview/ special pieces. It's nice being able to transverse 3 states and keep the same station when something of interest is on.
    It's not a bad way to motor, or for that matter, God forbid, be stuck in traffic!

2. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

My wife surprised me with a Sirius Starmate Replay satellite radio for Christmas. I'm on the road on occasion and she thought I'd like it.

Actually, I've really enjoyed it more than I even thought I would . . . so I got her one for HER car. She has to make 400 mile round trips about once a month as well as several shorter "long" drives. She's loving it too.

It really makes the drive time fun!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

3. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    Out here in Chicago, nothing beats listening to Johnny B. on the loop, even if the station has commercials, i don't care!

4. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    No kidding, I have Sirius in my truck and I LOVE it. It's so much easier when I'm driving 500+ miles to just leave the satellite radio on the same station. Not to mention, Sirius picked up Howard Stern and it's on every day from like 6am to 11pm. Great Stuff.
    -J

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Boy, if I ever needed a reason NOT to have satellite radio...........

6. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Is Sirius the same as XM? I've flown Air Tran Air a few times and they have XM radio. The music is nice, but when I tried to listen to ESPN radio, it seemed like there were more commercials than actual content. I did like listening to BBC radio though.
    -Jimi

7. KMT

KMT Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    No, they are not the same. XM and Sirius are competitors.

8. jcmacman

jcmacman Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    SoCal
    I have Sirius Radio and it's pretty cool. But, Sirius does repeat a lot of the songs or jokes. The reception on the open highway is great, but when it rains or you drive thru a bunch of trees like in Yosemite, the reception cuts out. My radio shows the title and artist on the screen. Pretty useful if you want to get the cd.

John

9. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    ewwww....Howard Stern, how gross