Saw Vizzutti Last Night

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ric232, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    I was fortunate enough to attend a master class with Allen Vizzutti last night at the Univ. of South Carolina. All I can say is O...M...G !! My first time seeing him live; won't be the last. I've posted a couple of video links below. Unfortunately, I didn't get video of the most impressive feat of the evening. After playing the piccolo piece below, he switched to his Bb and to make a point about how the piccolo must be approached differently than the Bb. He played a few bars of Brandenberg No. 2 (3rd movement) on the Bb but with the piccolo playing approach. Didn't sound very good (intentionally) and the horn did not resonate very well. Then he played the same few opening bars of Brandenberg on the Bb playing it the correct way. Holy smokes !! It was almost surreal hearing Brandenberg No. 2 played perfectly on a Bb.

Allen Vizzutti - Carnival of Venice - YouTube
    Allen Vizzutti - Piccolo Trumpet - YouTube

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Mr. Vizzutti is a giant. That's special -thanks for sharing. Lucky you.

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Brilliant performance thanks for sharing the clips.

4. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    And he was really just goofing around.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Back in the 70s at Eastman, it was the same deal. He was miles ahead of all of the rest. I think his major contribution to the trumpet world is in inspiration. He is so naturally talented, that even with 8 hours of practice per day, we can't do what he does!

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    and he has an unreal amount of humility .. get's my good guy vote

7. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    There are those on these forums who would attempt or try in all seriousness to put people like Allison Balsom and Tine Thing Helseth on the same level as Wynton or Vizzutti even...lol

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    okay Tine is still a kid
    but Allison does have some serious chops... she did a tour where she played 2 hours of trumpet Concertos ... that is insane for any pro.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Got to pick up Allen at the airport to take him to our college, and we talked about cars, Montana, New York and the best placement to mic a French Horn for an hour and a half. Neat guy and a truly gifted musician.

10. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Saw Allen Vizzutti last spring here in Texas with the Temple Jazz Orchestra. Not only is he a great trumpet player, he has an uncanny sense of humor!