"saxophone fingerings make sense..."

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vstern, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Vstern

Vstern New Friend

Jul 25, 2010
    "compared to trumpet fingerings." I read something like that a while ago. Does anyone know the topic? Advanced search did not help.

2. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Hmm. They make no sense to me.

3. Vstern

Vstern New Friend

Jul 25, 2010
    Not my personal opinion; I'm wondering where on this site I may have seen that.

4. Drew Ahner

Drew Ahner New Friend

Jan 10, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Having played both, I'm having trouble thinking of similarities. the overtone series works the same way, if you have the talent to use it.

5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Well, sax does make more sense. If you want to play high on a sax you lift fingers. If you want to play lower you push things down. Seems to be more practical than 0, 123, 13, 23, 12, 1, 2, 0.

E, F, F# and G in the lower stack on a sax are the same as a trumpet as far as direct relations go.

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    The overtone series is physics. It isn't really changeable.

7. Drew Ahner

Drew Ahner New Friend

Jan 10, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    The more I think about it, the more it does make sense. Listen to brekelefuw, he is certainly correct. I never made the connection about E, F, F#, and G. Good call. As for the overtones being simple physics, yes, that is the reason that a piece of pvc pipe shares the same qualities, I was just pointing it out.

8. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I once tried to map out all the intricate mechanisms that push keys down on Saxophones. It is quite a genius invention. However, the trumpet is still, far and wide, a more "natural" instrument.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Googling will sometimes get you what you want faster.

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm not sure about making more sense ... But, saxophone fingerings are divided into octaves, that is to say, it's the same fingering for two octaves, with the only difference being you press or not press the octave key. Then, the fingerings get a little wonky in upper register playing, it doesn't follow the same two octave patterns. The sax system is faster .... The average sax player plays faster than the average trumpet player.

Saxophone is an easier instrument, IMO, by quite a bit. There is no way to mute the things, however, so they're loud all the time.

Turtle