Saying Ciao to Chuck

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, May 30, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Last night, Doug Carlsen hosted a goodbye party of sorts for Chuck Lazarus as he gets ready to leave to join the Canadian Brass Quintet for an entire season. The section was there and others from the orchestra to enjoy food, libations, and all overall good time. Congratulations were not only in order for the CBQ gig but also for his recent website/recording/video project.

Before I left for the party, the thought occurred to me that perhaps I should have gotten him a little goodbye gift and realized I had nothing so I was disappointed with myself. I wasn't about to run out and get a box of chocolates or something lame so I thought I'd take him out to lunch this week while we play the Verdi requiem this week.

With that thought in mind...

I went over to my score collection and grabbed my old copy of the Requiem to look at it as I listened to the NBC/Toscanini version. I opened to the first page and there was a memo dated May 23, 1994. The memo was to the brass players of the MO advising us that there would that summer, a concert of brass music with us and a professional brass quintet called the Dallas Brass. Listed on that memo under the DBQ personnel was Charles Lazarus!

I thought, "Oh, cool... I'll go to the store and grab a frame and give him the memo since it commemorates the first time he stepped foot into Orchestra Hall. Thank you, G-d!"

G-d wasn't done.

You see, I mentioned that I coincidentally found the memo in the score of the Verdi requiem. Well, it just so happens that the very first piece Chuck ever played with us was the requiem and this week his last piece with us is ...

The Verdi Requiem.

I gave him the memo and the score and told the story to the assembled crowd of people. I also told Chuck he was a "Weirdness Magnet". He is a great storyteller and has regaled us with some of the most bizarre tales I've ever heard. So, it was natural that we should be adding to the legacy of Weird.

If you happen to go to his website, wish him well. Although for a year, we're losing a good colleague and friend but he deserves the exposure CBQ will give him. If you ever get to sit down with him after a concert, get him to tell a few stories... you'll be glad you did.

ML

2. TheMan

TheMan New Friend

May 30, 2005
    Northwest Arkansas
    Manny

I'm new to this forum, but thought I'd tell you that I've been a great admirer of yours for years...glad to see a heavy posting here for the mortals!

I look forward to hearing Mr. Lazarus with the CBQ--I'm sure he'll do a great job! As for Doug Carlsen hosting a party...he, Joe Burgstaller and John Shaw could always throw a pretty good bash in college!!

3. Iamtrpt

Iamtrpt New Friend

May 16, 2005
    Is it for only a year? I hope so...

Man, that guy is lucky Dallas Brass...Minnesota Orchestra...and

CANADIAN BRASS

How could anyone be that lucky? (Not sayin he's not talented or nething)

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    I know what you mean, but I think "lucky" is definitly the WRONG word for it. I'd say something along the lines of "man, that guy must have worked his tail off to get that many opportunities."

Around my old alma matter, which I won't mention (but is VERY obvious), trumpeters go around using the word lucky all the time. Luck is when something that really isn't deserved is attained.

Mr. Lazarus has worked very hard to get where he is. He deserves everything he has. What a great young player. The list goes Dallas Brass, MO, CB, but certainly won't stop there. We're going to be hearing lots from this gentleman!!!

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Practicing regularly every day, using his ears on a full-time basis, listening to as much as he could= Chuck's luck.

ML

6. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK
    Yeah, the more you practice=the luckier you get. :-P

7. 2300vw

2300vw New Friend

May 31, 2005
    "luck is where preparation meets opportunity"

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Congratulations to Charles for getting a plum job.

Not to take anything away from him (or the group)...I love their music greatly and admire their awesome skills equally.... but has anyone else noticed how frequently the C.B. seems to be changing personnel in the last few years? It seems like every year or two there is a change...and always in the middle/high sections. (Conversely, how do Chuck and Gene manage to stick with the grind?)

There must be something to life "perpetually on the road" that makes it really difficult to stay with it as long as some of them have. I understand that personal "life" situations can always cause a person to want (NEED) a change.... marriage, kids, the desire to explore other avenues of music (thinking about Branford Marsallis giving up his job with the Tonight Show).

Do any of you guys who've "been out there" and had to make what must be a really tough decision have anything to comment/contribute to this subject that might help younger players who are contemplating being full-time pros with their decisions? Perhaps start a new thread on "why I had to move on"?