Scales

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jonny89, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Blazing Asian

Blazing Asian Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    Quoted for truth.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Just as an athlete who keeps running when tired discovers the "second wind," so is it for us with scales. They do get boring, so we just keep plugging away, and at some point they'll stop being boring. Really! Try it and see for yourself.

Have fun!

3. pipedope

pipedope Pianissimo User

Sep 2, 2007
    Remember that scales are part of learning all of the KEYS.

To add interest play songs and tunes you know in every key.
    This way you are training your brain and fingers to work in every key and making it fun too.

4. Loose Lips

Loose Lips New Friend

Apr 10, 2006
    white salmon, WA
    One way that I have been playing scales lately is to go up to the 9th back down, repeat, then go back up to the 9th but down the arpeggio then up the arpeggio to the 9th and back down the scale then finish with arpeggio up and down and hold until lungs are empty. Then I go up a 4th and do the next scale until I go full circle to get all keys. The next day I do the same routine but with the Dorian mode to mix it up a bit. My practice time is very limited with a 2 and 4 year old around so I try to cram a lot in this one quick routine. Oh, That is the other thing....some days I will work for speed to improve the tonguing. The whole thing is less than 15 minutes. I think I saw this in a Jamie Aebersold book and thought it was a good way to get all scales everyday. I am trying to get better at improv and don't want "easy keys and hard keys". Good luck with the scales.