Scales

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Feb 3, 2012.

1. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I imagine that most will be too advanced as players to benefit from this post , but this is what I have on my mind at the time. Certain key signatures seem easier to play than others. It is not that some are harder but that we are less familiar with them. Back in school my directors ALWAYS warmed the band up using Bb concert. Bb is very easy for us to play because it is more familiar. In the last few months I have taken it upon myself to remedy this problem by playing the scales that I am least familiar with first during my warm ups. I play them more often as well. I also play Clarke studies in different keys without looking at the exercises in the book while changing keys. What used to be difficult is getting easier by the day. There is no reason a person should have a harder time playing in one key signature versus another other than they have not done their homework. Even fingering issues get easier when you attack the problem combinations until they become second nature.

I plan to use this same approach with all aspects of playing going forward. I will concentrate on weak areas first until they become strengths.

coolerdave likes this.
  2. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    That worked for me. Since I cannot read all I know is the strange keys have more 2+3 valve positions and it great help when many songs drop a half tone for the bridge. Body and soul comes to mind. Many folks avoid these and that becomes my specialty since many singers prefer unusual keys
    I love to play ballads with singers

3. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    No player is ever too advanced to work on scales.

xjb0906 likes this.
  4. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Unfortunately, some would think otherwise.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    That's one of the things I really dig about Vissutti's books ... whole tone, b5's.. dim... etc ... technical studies
    makes me realise how much I need to get a better perscription for my glasses

6. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I've been playing more than 50 years and still run through the circle of 5ths Major scales every day and the minors when I think about it.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No, NO, NO!

Scales are designed to be practiced slowly and then played from memory. Start slowly and the Vizzutti book will just fall into place.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    okay I could read the middle one without my glasses.... thanks for the clarification

9. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I guess you were serious about that, huh?

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    SCALES - It's what's for practice. When I 1st joined the band in my church, the 1st song I played was in E, 2nd in B, 3rd in F#, and the last was in C#!!!!! :shock::shock::shock: Geetar songs will do that to you! It was a real eye opener. I am fluent in all my scales now! The "unfamiliar" scale now is C! :lol: