Scales

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    "People who didn't practice their scales can only play The Girl from Ipanema in one key"

2. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    Good, better, best.
    Never let it rest;
    Til your good is better;
    and your better is best.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yeah, sort of.......... I really believe in a strong foundation. Eliminates the need for excuses later. Scales MUST be committed to memory. Intervals must be committed to memory. As many tunes as possible must be committed to memory

4. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    Memorizing scales teaches a conditioned response to the muscles and fingers of "kinesthetic" learners. The key of Eb feels different from the key of A. At some level, I look at the key signature and my mind shifts gears to that key and the fingers function automatically. The only notes I have to "read" are the accidentals. Of course, those "courtesy accidentals" mess me up!!! But, it is a small price to pay.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    not really -- scales are always a good reminder, and definitely very helpful in playing. I would be sure to do all scales in all the octaves (should eventually be 2 octaves for each scale -- for most people --- 3 for some). Also don't forget the arpeggios. Anyways in the community band the other night, the conductor pulled out a B scale!!!! to warm up on, and also an Eb --- and you would be surprised how many of the trumpet players and those trombone guys -- really didn't not know those 2 scales. kind of funny, and yet, kind of sad -- so very very sad. It appears that you post is right on target!!!!!!!, I should share this with my fellow trumpeters, and those trombone guys also. ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Courtesy accidentals.....I like that.

7. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    It has been brought to my attention that certain keys are more difficult due the anatomy of the hand. Apparently keys that require the use of the third valve are physically more difficult. I believe that to be true. I also believe that overcoming the physical issue is much easier than overcoming the mental issue of avoiding these more difficult scales.With work the physical limitation will diminish to a point that it is no longer noticeable.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    lets not forget the chromatic scale also --- I am actually amazed that at the level of community band --- where nearly 20% of participants are music teachers -- that they have NOT taught the other muscians (or YET not inspired them) to learn the chromatic scale. I am saying this, because usually in my warmup routine, I usually do a very fast chromatic scale -- from low F# to the high C, both up and down. I have actually heard a few trumpeters (1 a music teacher) and also a french horn player try to play the chromatic in duplication of the speed that I am at ---- they all had trouble doing that.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I think a lot of musicians look at scales as too mundane and they move on to the "important stuff" (high notes ROFL). We played a song with a Bb scale as an intro and the other trumpeter was having great difficulty. I pointed out that it was a Bb scale (just trying to help) and received a sneer. That lick reoccurs 6 times in the song. He still struggles with it and sometimes won't even attempt it!

codyb226 likes this.
  10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    a snobby trumpet player??????? all over a Bb scale -- that is totally uncalled for. However the music teacher who couldn't rattle off a chromatic scale -- questioned, WHY one of the other trumpeters was sitting next to me --AND NOT in their upper chair spot!!!! I think it was my prescence that fearful --- THE NEW GUY who can rattle of a chromatic, and all the other scales, and THAT should inspire people, but I think it offended them ---------------HOW can playing scales do that???????offend people, I just don't understand -- ROFL ROFL ROFL

ps. maybe next time, I should offer to tutor the music teacher in scales --- mmmmmm!! I wonder if a music teacher is actually "teachable"????