Scales

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Feb 3, 2012.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    you need... with that
    Aaron Copland. Hoe Down from "Rodeo". OSNM / E.A. Diemecke. - YouTube

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Vizzutti's method uses the different chords in half notes for warm ups ..so that's pretty slow. The technical studies I really do have to play slow ... but it sure if fun working the speed up with the metronome .. kind of like the Clarkes on steroids

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Playing scales and arpeggios are fundamental to any instrumental practice. They keep you fluent in all 12 keys. Plus playing scales helps the players learn to play their horn in tune with it self. I've Written an exercise that also works as an embouchure conditioner. And I have my students play the scales tongued and slurred everyday

kingtrumpet likes this.
  4. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Agreed, play what you can't to improve technically, but don't forget to play what you can to develop musically. I've found it's hard to concentrate on playing musically when I'm constantly on the edge of my playing abilities.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If you asked me to play in a certain key, I'll honestly tell you my fish isn't grilled the way I like it. Now if you tell me the concert key is three sharps or 4 flats, whatever, I'm off and playing. Just about every practice session I warm up with chromatic scales ascending and descending at varying speeds from largo to allegro. Seemingly, I just read the music I have on my stand which I hope I've had time to rehearse. You want me to play Handel's Messiah in G, forget it unless you provide the music for it in G. I personally like it in D Major, while my wife likes it in Eb Major as lowers it.

Once upon a time, I sat in with a 27 piece orchestra and the conductor called for a particular song to be played in concert Bb. It was a total disaster, as the music changed keys and many of the Bb instrument players kept playing it in concert Bb or C for the Bb instruments. Can't say the other Bb players were wrong as they followed the unwritten rule: "Whether right or wrong, the conductor is always right." Luckily, it was only a rehearsal and not a performance before an audience. I finally found that the trumpet section of 6 trumpets, 2 on each part, were divided with both of us on 1st part making the key change while 1 2nd part, and one 3rd part player didn't, and only one of 4 clarinets did, and the pianist did, and so on.

Aside, I favor vocalizing in the Key of G as is how I sing Edelweiss.

6. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    I recently worked with someone that basically stated until I had all 12 major keys down we couldn't progress... SO I did the circle of 4ths/ 5ths and learned all of the major scales .. and now trying to improve on it.

Here is a side question... I was trying to look for a print-up of the F# chromatic scale across 2 octaves which I assume will be out on the internet easily to print out (and yes I know what the notes are for it and I could write it out myself) But assumed in the world of 'google' that I could just pull a pdf up from elsewhere, yet I'm not finding one.

Any links to this?

7. SFPat

SFPat Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Houston
  8. mtbevins

mtbevins Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I find it odd how easy the Bb is and other do not come so easy. Law of Primacy - First learned leaves a lasting impression. :)

9. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    In a 40 person concert band that I'm in, the conductor told us to our major scales in all keys, going up chromatically. Starting on concert Bb, he said that if you make one mistake you have to sit out.

In a band where the average age is 16, the only people that were left playing after the full cycle of scales were me, a 13 year old clarinet player and a 17 year old tuba player. 3/40 in an entire concert band know their scales from memory... that's worrying.

My teacher taught me from a very early age the importance of being able to play your majors and minors (harmonic and melodic) and more importantly, being able to play them in tune. Now, I know my chromatics, whole tones, harmonic and melodic minors and my majors. It really helps with all higher level music playing - it makes you more in tune, it's easy to read, it is very useful when transposing, and very handy in sight reading. Also very helpful in improvisation! And if you're playing with a guitarist, as is already mentioned, it is a hell of a lot easier if you know your scales.

Knowing your chromatics also makes Flight of the Bumblebee nowhere near as intimidating as it seems.

10. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    Chromatic Scale-1.jpg

Here is an example of what I was looking for... I just wrote it up myself (Not sure if the attachment will work but will soon find out.) I suppose a simple program that was written to say you want to start whatever scale out on a certain note and certain octave and then it laid out the notes for you would be handy...