Scam Artist

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Tootsall, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I just received this email from someone. I'm kind of thinking it might be fun to play with his mind a little bit. I'll open a "faked" yahoo address and work from there. Anybody have any quick suggestions? I'm thinking that I might advise him that I would be pleased to assist him with his little problem but since I'm a professional engineer my time is worth $150 per hour plus dispensations and that I have a one hour minimum billing period. Since it took me 5 minutes to read his email and doubtless at least another hour to compose a response worthy of his propsal, he can start by sending me $300 plus costs (based on internet useage, electricity, overhead, etc).

Give it a read and drop a note here as to any other suggestions you might have. This could be fun. When things really get going I'll just forward his "proposal" to the RCMP "scambusters". (Isn't the .ZA in the address Zaire?) Naturally, due to confidentiality concerns, I am prohibited from sending my phone number, bank account numbers, etc. however I could always arrange to meet with the man at a relatively safe location (try some place in the middle of the tundra of Northern Canada!) I'll even let him arrive first to ensure his personal safety! :)

Quote:

[email protected] <[email protected]>

Dear Sir/Madam,

I guess this letter may come to you as surprise since I had no previous correspondence with you. I am the chairman tender board of the independent national electoral commission (INEC). I got your contact in my search for a reliable person to handle a very confidential transaction involving the transfer of the sum of $14.5,000.000 d0llars (Fourteen Million Five hundred Thousand United States Dollars) the above fund is not
    connected with arms, drugs or money laundering. It is the product of an over invoiced contract awarded in 1999 by (INEC) to a foreign company for the supply of electoral materials that were used for conducting the 1999 elections.

The contract has long been executed and payment of the actual contract amount has been made to the foreign contractor leaving the balance of US$14.5 million which my colleagues and I now want to transfer out of
    Nigeria into a reliable foreign account for our personal use.As civil servants we are not allowed to run foreign accounts.

Hence we have chosen to front and support you as the beneficiary to this fund. If you are interested in the proposal kindly get back to me by sending me your letter of acceptance along with your direct telephone and fax numbers, we have decided to share the money in the following percentage, 60% for us 30% for you the account owner and 10% for all local and international expenses that may arise in the course of this transaction

Further details about this transaction will be discussed in subsequent correspondence.

Note also that the particular nature of your business is irrelevant to this
    transaction and this transaction is expected to be concluded within 10 working days since all local contacts and arrangements are in place for a smooth and successfull conclusion of this transactio n. Contact me via email with your contact telephone and fax numbers, so that I can call you for a discussion.

Thank you as I await your response.

Sincerely,
    Dr.Fred Daniel

Unquote:

Let's get it on!

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You are much nicer than me. I usually just tell them where they can put it. :lol:

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Oh no! My goodness gracious.... I don't get mad...I get even! :D I'll dig as much info (likely very little) out of this clown and THEN report him.

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Hmmm...a little more digging and it's coming out of a free mail server in South Africa. A google search on the "webmail.co.za" reveals a ton of different scams, all with a similar topic...lots of mention of "Charles Taylor" too. Since simply reporting the idiots seems to be such a waste, I want to get someone at the other end thinking he's got a nibble.