Scammer alert!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vega Power, May 6, 2012.

1. Vega Power

Vega Power Piano User

Dec 9, 2011
    Florida
    As a service to this community, I want to draw attention to a scam I discovered this morning. This information is also listed under Ebay Autions.

This morning there was a Monette, a Schilke E3L, and a '46 Martin Committee large bore listed on Ebay under the same seller. There was also some other musical instruments, a few bicycles and audio gear among other things. These listings were for 24 hours and had a starting bid of $.77. All looked legit and had excellent pictures and descriptions. The listings had no "buy it now" in the header but in the body of the ad, it listed an email address to contact to access a Buy it Now price of $1800 (on each horn). The seller account showed excellent feedback and was quite legit. The only problem was, this legit account had been hacked by a criminal who listed more than 50 items for sale, all top dollar items, and all with a buy it now only available through email. The email response from the seller claims he/she will complete the transaction through Ebay with a 14 day money back policy. The criminals ask for you Ebay ID, full name, and mailing address in the response to your interest in the item. I don't know where they take it from there... I reported my suspicions to Ebay customer service and the owner of the real ebay store site at that point. BEWARE everybody!!!

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks for the warning, and the gentle reminder that any eBay listing with a buy-it-now option only via email is likely a scam.

Mike

3. Flugel52

Flugel52 Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2011
    Central Florida
    Thanks for the warning. I noticed them a few minutes agao. The ads are still there, and collecting bids. No ebay action to remove them yet.

Steve

4. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I had a guy try to sell me that same Martin Committee! He just had pics, too. Same pics! Guess were I met him?

5. Vega Power

Vega Power Piano User

Dec 9, 2011
    Florida
    Flugel52... I think he must have hacked another account. The listings yesterday were off in 1-2 hours (once he got some interested parties).

Edit: I just checked Ebay and these horns are not on there at this time. The Committee is photographed on stairs with cream-colored carpet. It's all gold (non-deluxe) with serial number 161xxx. One of the images shows up when you google image search. It's from vintagetrumpet.org. Google "vintage golden 1946 martin committee".

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  6. Wondra

Wondra Pianissimo User

Mar 29, 2007
    Thanks for telling us - I hadn't heard of this particular scam before.