Scar Tissue?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by funBox, Sep 19, 2010.

1. funBox

funBox New Friend

Sep 13, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    Hey guys,

Here to post another (possible) problem of mine! Do I qualify as the "Forum Hypochondriac" yet? :D

When I was in high school, one of my top front teeth was crooked and jutted out a bit. Since I played lead in our jazz band, and playing entire songs above the staff was common practice, I managed to adopt some terrible habits in regards to mashing my upper lip like pizza dough. Suffice to say, this did some terrible things to my lip in the spot where the tooth was. Since then, I have developed (what I believe to be) a bit of scar tissue on the inside of my lip, about halfway between my aperture and the corner of my mouth.

Now that I am taking lessons and attempting to correct my bad habits, I'm coming across a double buzz in the exact spot where the scar tissue exists, and some frustrating response issues.

My question to you all: is scar tissue unfixable? If so, are there ways to work around it?

Thanks,
    -Brandon

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Wow! That does not sound like something that we can address over the internet. I think you will need to consult a real doctor for something like that. It is more than just a chops issue.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    How do you know that the double buzz is happening at this supposed "scar tissue" location? What method of seeing or measuring did you use?

How much do you know about double buzzing? Have you done a search here for it? Have you followed the advice?

I believe that you are wrong. I believe that the double buzz has nothing to do with the "scar". It has to do with underdeveloped chops = lack of synergy between the ears, brain, breathing and embouchure muscles.

I believe that major changes take major time to work. Cyberchondria is not something to be proud of. Playing trumpet well is mostly in our heads anyway. When the brain is full of BS, there is less room for music..............

Having played lead for quite a while, I question the comment "playing entire songs above the staff was common practice" unless you were lead trumpet for Buddy Rich or Goodwins Big PHAT Band. Most of the rest of the lead stuff is balanced between in and above the staff. Exaggerating your situation does not help find a cure. The truth is much more useful.

4. funBox

funBox New Friend

Sep 13, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    Regarding where where the double buzz is located, I'm simply basing it off where I feel it occurring (it's a fairly prominent buzz!) I'll admit I have not done a remarkable amount of research on double buzzing, but my private instructor has dubbed it so.

I completely agree with you when you say that it's a lack of developed embouchure. My teacher is basically rebuilding the way I play trumpet from the ground up, so naturally my chops aren't where they should be. My main concern is whether or not the scar tissue will cause problems down the line as I progress further on the instrument.

Oh and regarding the part about playing above the staff, just because it's above the staff doesn't mean it's chameleon range :p I suppose I exaggerated a bit, I meant I regularly played taxing parts that, during performances, had me doing some things I shouldn't have! Sorry for the confusion :)

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Check this out and you will understand more about how the lips worK:

IWK Brass Research

A real scar can slow some players down, but with intelligent and diligent work, ANYTHING can be overcome. It really does put a big question mark when thinking about what teachers subject their students to. Just imagine if a chemistry or physics teacher was this careless and let students mame themselves.

6. funBox

funBox New Friend

Sep 13, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    Thanks Rowuk, I'll check that out now!

My teacher and I talk about things like this daily, I'm sure she'll be glad to learn about this as well.

-Brandon

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Rafael Mendez, Adolph Hersuth and Wes Hensil played with scar tissue.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  8. Conraqueen

Conraqueen New Friend

Sep 22, 2010
    I have scartissue too. But my problem is that it's all the way across my upper lip. In addition to the scar tissue I have thick lips. I'm pretty sure I can't fix my lip problem so would a different mouthpiece help? I have a Bach 2 1/2 C. I just want to have an easier time playing trumpet, I'm not concerned about high notes.

9. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Hi, Conraqueen - You may want to re-post this question in a new thread that you start. Most members will not see it down here at the end of another member's thread.

As you read in the other posts to this thread, scar tissue is not necessarily an issue. There are many threads here about thick lips and, again, that is not an issue. Many great trumpet players had - and have - thick lips. It is just a matter of good technique and diligent practice to deal with any of these conditions.

As far as a mouthpiece goes, That is a big area of debate. Certainly there are hundreds of different mouthpiece shapes and sizes but there is no clear cut way to predict which ones - if any - will work better for you. The 2 1/2C is relatively large but I doubt that a larger one would make any difference. I played for over 50 years on a 7C and then decided to find a "better" one. I now have over 30 mouthpieces - from huge to tiny - and none work any better than the 7C. I should have saved my money.

10. funBox

funBox New Friend

Sep 13, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    You should send some of those mouthpieces my way! ROFL