Scar Tissue

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JLoyalist, Apr 8, 2011.

1. JLoyalist

JLoyalist New Friend

Jan 30, 2011
    TX
    I've had some scar tissue on my top lip since i was little and recently i have found that it has really been hurting my playing. The past two weeks I've been pretty busy playing with jazz ensembles and my school's varsity band, and I've been on the horn more than i normally am most of the time and i've found it harder to find time to take some time off the horn. There has always been a small amount of discomfort while playing but I've never really made it become a negative factor in my sound.

I would like to know if there was anyone here who has a similar problem and what you do to work around it. I really don't want to increase the size of my mouthpiece because i already play on pieces that are relatively large(1 1/2C-3C) so if there is anything else anyone could recommend that would be fantastic!

2. tomcat

tomcat Pianissimo User

Dec 19, 2007
    Make sure you are not forcing notes and using an inordinate amount of pressure. That will for sure cause scar tissue. Also, what is your embrochure like? Is your upper lip or bottom lip riding or sitting on the rim of the mouth piece? If so, then you need to correct that.

3. JLoyalist

JLoyalist New Friend

Jan 30, 2011
    TX
    i probably have more of a medium high embouchure with only a little more upper lip inside of the mouthpiece but i wouldn't really say that there is anything wrong with my set up.

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Hi Joe,

When I was in high school, I was hit on my upper lip, which caused a scar to form where the rim sits on my embouchure.This was affecting my endurance. My teacher had me move the mouthpiece so that the scar was no longer under the rim. I used to play with mostly lower lip in the mouthpiece,so moved the setting higher so that the scar was in the cup, and not under the rim.

This was in 1966 and I'm still playing stronger than ever. So while there may be nothing wrong with your set up, it still might have to be moved because of the scar.