Scary problem?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    I know someone that did the piano for 9 years n then one she lost intrest n stopped playing.

Like i started now an i enjoy heaps. But im worried after lots of years of paying for teachers and spending thousand's of dollers on everything, i loose intrest and stop playing it. Cause with music you either have it in you or you dont. And im not sure?

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I would quit now.

Maybe be a short order cook at Denny's.

Who can know what will happen in the future?

If you enjoy playing, then play.

Would you lament spending money on an ice cream bar if you grow to dislike ice cream in the future?

-cw-

Schwab likes this.
  3. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    yer but like i said you d0ont no. I enjoy playing it now, its fun n all that as im still learning but wat about i dislike it a year later or even 9 years later?

4. jazzcadenza

jazzcadenza New Friend

Apr 24, 2008
    JazzBurgh!Pittsburgh PA!
    Hitman, if you're back in music, you love music.... we play the horn because we love to make the sounds, alone or together.... don't question money issues.... face the facts... to make money in music you have to be a stellar performer or a good teacher.... don't give up.... I won't.... see you in the green room....

5. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    green room?

No my point is that wat happens if u enjoy for 1 year, enjoy it for 2 years n so on but say one day after lyk 9 years u wake up n say to yourself i dont wanna do trumpet anymore. You get sick of it n loss your interest?

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    There is no answer.....

Enjoy it now.

if you lose interest you walk away.

Sell the horn or piano and move on.

-cw-

7. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007

'Like i started now an i enjoy heaps. But im worried after lots of years of paying for teachers and spending thousand's of dollers on everything, i lose intrest and stop playing it. Cause with music you either have it in you or you dont. And im not sure?'

You got right to the quick of it there Hitman.

The "Music" is in everybody though yea. :) -Course who's to say that after all your effort you realize, or begin to feel you're a better listener than player? Or what's more practical, is you may well have better 'chops' for Piano than the Horn?

Whatever that means. Chops seems a universal thing, the same as Music. Hearing otherwise would find me deaf.

Nevertheless, i can offer i've had similar experience in that i painted because i had natural ability, but quit for lack of gratifying-interest. As well, i can tell you i've spoken with a great Trumpet Builder who said he was told that he'd be better off playing something other than Trumpet, but ignored this- worked extremely hard -and became an accomplished Professional Player. But he knew he loved the horn, and that's what kept him after it. -Likely he will be a life long Player?

Course, it wouldn't matter if he quit tomorrow: the experience and pleasure of it wouldn't be wasted effort. And recognizing the benefits in a life without the Horn wouldn't be the same as being told that trigonometry's needed to better appreciate the world. :) -But i well understand your need of focus and resolve from the get-go.

-No reason to rush things if you're not there yet. No reason at all. Least as i see it. I've been here for a while, and haven't yet gotten my first horn. However, i've learned a great deal about myself and what my motivations are for Music and Trumpet. Haven't played a note but the trig.'s been a major benefit of foundation come time when i do. Had i started, not realizing the things i've learned; it may well have affected my interests to a point of stopping-starting, quitting.. i don't know. It's a great question.

As you say though- if the Horn's in our blood- that's what we'll do. -When the time's right? Then again, the "Music" is no less or more, in any event?

Cheers

Enjoying the search and ride here in Sunny Balto.

Chris

-

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  8. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Their are many comeback players in this Forum. If you decied to quit just move on.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hitman,
    worrying about the future is best left for people in real danger, like oboe players.

Think about this:
    You can drown on a glass of water - but still keep drinking
    You can fail tests at school, but still keep going
    You can fall down stairs and break your leg - but still keep moving
    You can catch all sorts of diseases from public toilets but...........
    You can DIE later today.

My point,
    it is not he that plays best that gets to trumpet heaven, it is every one of us that has a GREAT time with EVERY single note!
    I don't know how much you like chocolate, but people buy it because they enjoy EVERY bite. The trumpet should be the same thing. Enjoy every bite today. Maybe one day the chocolate will rot your teeth, the solution is not stop eating chocolate, but rather to get your life straightened out.
    Trumpet is the same. If you want to whine, you are in the wrong place.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  10. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

When people say someone "has" the music in them, particularly immediately, it means they developed on their instrument pretty fast.
    4 years ago as a freshman in high school, I was essentially accepted into the band and orchestra to fill out the section. Then I started practicing, and was leading the orchestra by junior year. A lot of musicality can be learned, by listening to players (of all instruments) and lots and lots of music. And most of all, practicing musically.
    If you give it up, you give it up. Play for music and for fun
    (also on people playing piano for 9 years, a lot of parents make their kids play and they just do it without enjoying it for 5-14 and give up as soon as they can, I'm not saying that's what happened, but it does)