Scheduled down time??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 4INer, Jan 7, 2015.

1. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    Keep in mind this is coming from a guy that had a very long lay-off (8 years), and who is extremely aware of how quickly skills, embouchure, endurance, range, etc. can all atrophy into oblivion... Which is why after making the comeback I have made myself a promise to play everyday and have a daily routine that takes right at an hour and consists of lip bends, long tones, mouthpiece buzzing, flexibility work, and scales, and it is the minimum that I play everyday no matter what. I have kept my promise for a couple of years now and will continue to do so. However, for the first time since the comeback, circumstances forced me to take a 36 hour layoff. And I found the layoff actually helped rather than hurt. The best way to describe it is that the 3 days since the layoff have all been good (very good) lip days. So in a way I'm answering my own question and now know that an occasional short term layoff can benefit your chops. My question is, do any of you have planned or scheduled downtime? and how often and for how long? Inquiring minds want to know.......... :)

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I just did about two weeks... and I'm thinking of making it an annual occurrence.

Tom

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There can be no rule. Each of us has different life goals, conflicts for time and a consenting or rebelling environments. Professional players "need" different things than active amateurs, comebackers or beginners. Time off does give you the opportunity to review what you are doing and if it is "worth it". If you have short, medium and long term goals, it is easier to plan sensible things.

You see, it is possible to travel from Washington DC to New York by going south. The path is just A LOT more difficult and by the time you get there, your goals may have changed. I am one of those that needs little sleep. An hour with the trumpet is like kissing my wife before going to work. No day should be without............

One last piece of advice: if you are playing so loudly that you can't hear your body talking to you - you do need a break. When that little voice can make itself understood, many questions do not need to be asked.

4. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    Did you lose anything after 2 weeks away??? I'm enjoying playing so much that I never want to go backwards again......... although I am certain that father time will one day catch up with me and give me no choice....... :)

5. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    and only practice on the days you eat........ :) I feel the same way and trust me when I tell you that the day and a half off was unavoidable and I was missing my time with my horn. But the chops feel great....... :)

6. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Maybe a little. I always approach restarting in a slow way so I don't hurt myself.

Tom

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Unless I'm playing in church on Sunday, I do not play on Sunday otherwise. Reiterating health and dental issues do interrupt and can cause a rebuild of the embouchure, and affect endurance and range ... it's back to square one in the game. My positive thought has been I did it once on my comeback and I can do it again in these circumstances.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I use to do this in my youth, and experienced the same effect as you.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I am at another point in my trumpet playing where I am at the top of my game (but still raising the bar). Down time for me now being at the top of my game and needing to stay there to meet the demand of my current performance schedule is not an option. When I was hospitalized for 3 weeks this summer, I had my trumpet with me and played an hour and a half every day while hooked up to tubes coming from nearly all my orifices. My next scheduled down time will be when the good Lord decides it is time to pluck me out of the hospital bed and sit in with the gig He has waiting for me in the sky.

9. RRVancil

RRVancil Piano User

Sep 24, 2009
    Littleton, Colorado
    Tubes coming out of every orifice.......how did that affect circular breathing? ROFL

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I actually measured the effect and posted it on my thread: "Thoughts from a Hospital Bed". But I found that circular breathing actually increased my oxygen saturation by 6%! It had no effect on blood pressure, and my heart rate stayed steady during the circular breathing period.