Scherzer Picc.

Discussion in 'Horns' started by B15M, Dec 26, 2005.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I have a fairly new Scherzer picc. and the valves are getting a little sluggish. I have tried oiling them with the rotary oil but the trumpet didn't come with any instructions.

I asked a friend of mine that plays french horn and he showed me where to oil on the french horn.

I have been putting oil where ever I can get it into a moving part and a few drops in the slides.

If this were a piston trumpet I would wash it.
    I was told that I shouldn't take the valves apart so I don't know what to do. How do you wash the horn? How do you oil the horn? I can't really see how the oil is getting onto the valves.

2. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    I'm not sure exactly if you can do it this way or not...I've not looked at a Scherzer picc up close in personal.

Try taking the slides out, and oil the valves through the valve slides. That might help.

Louie

3. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Use Rotor Oil, get some from the horn player.

4. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    I play a Scherzer Bb.
    What you should do is use standard trumpet valve oil dripped in through the tuning slides (take them out).
    You also need to put a heavier oil on the rotors.
    Unscrew the caps, put a drip on the end of the rotor and then pull the slides for each valve half way out.
    The suction is supposed to draw some of the oil into the bearings.

Thats how horn players do it, although I have seen horn players just use ordinary valve oil on the bearings as well.

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I went on the Scherzer web site and read that you shouldn't put oil in through the slides because it will cause grease from the slides to get into the valves which I think is what happened. I use Ultra Pure oil and I also don't know what that did mixed with the rotor oil.

I am not sure how to clean it out. The site was really vague about washing. I am going to call the repairman where I bought the trumpet and see what he says.

6. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Sorry, I should have made that clearer, you either use a special bottle with a long thin flexible nozzle or develop a good aim through the middle of the slide without touching the sides!

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I called the place where I bought it and talked with the repair lady.
    This is what we came up with.

I put a lot of oil in the slides and in the lead pipe and blew through the horn while working the valves and kept doing this until the valves worked freely. I used a LOT of oil and it worked.

We think I had a problem because when I got the trumpet there was no oil with it so I used the synthetic oil that I use on my trumpet. The retailer sent me a bottle of rotor oil that won't mix well with the synthetic so I kind of washed that out of the trumpet with the regular valve oil. They told me that if this didn't work I would have to send the trumpet to have it cleaned and I really had nothing to loose so I tried it and I think all is well now.

Thanks for the help.