Schilke 15a4

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Hiwiller, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Hiwiller

Hiwiller New Friend

Dec 29, 2004
    near Cleveland, OH, USA
    Hopefully someone can advise...

Am most comfortable with a Bach 1.25c on my Bach Strad but have been looking for flatter rimmed/shallower pieces to experiment with. Have tried the Schilke 14a4a, but find the rim feels a bit small, middle register fades, and general feeling of stuffiness throughout after few minutes of playing.

Am thinking of trying the Schilke 15a4 with the larger backbore to see if it might be a better fit with what I'm used to in the 1.25 c.

Other option might be a Bach 1D but not sure about the backbore on the stock pieces.

Any thoughts?

2. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Go with a 15C4. The 'a' cup is probably what's making the lower register fade. The 'C' is a bigger cup, and the backbore is the standard open bore. The 15/4 rim is just a bit bigger but has the same feel as the 14/4.

3. Hiwiller

Hiwiller New Friend

Dec 29, 2004
    near Cleveland, OH, USA
    Thanks for the quick reply. :D

One additional question. How does the Schilke 'C' cup compare to the Bach? For orchestral sound, I'm happy with the Bach. I'm looking for more of a cutting sound with a boost/endurance in the upper register that comes with the shallower cups.

Thanks again.

4. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    The Schilkes, IMO, are close to the Bachs. You might try contacting Brian Scrivner over at GR mouthpieces and fill out the questionaire. A 65 MX might just work.

5. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    15B!

I use a 1 1/4C for my classical work (which is 90% of what I do) and recently picked up one of these for big-band work. The rim is very comfortable - more comfortable than my Bach in fact! - and I found it far superior to the Bach 1D / 3D / Schilke 15a4 and similar pieces.

Try it!

6. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Oh I forgot to say - the 15B gives me more of a cutting sound and helps me in the upper register, but without compromising the bottom end, or thinning out the tone.

7. Hiwiller

Hiwiller New Friend

Dec 29, 2004
    near Cleveland, OH, USA
    Great to hear JackD!

I may try out the 15b as well as check out GR to see what they can do for me.

Thanks everyone for the input!

8. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

I use a 15A4 when playing on Piccolo / Eb/D (sometimes) and when playing Eb Soprano Cornet.
    Don't use it on Bb much, I suppose if I had to do more "lead" type playing I may use it.
    Thins the sound out too much for my taste on a Bb.

Comfortable mpiece though.