Schilke 24C3B

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by rms573, Feb 17, 2005.

1. rms573

rms573 New Friend

Feb 8, 2005
    I just came across a Schilke 24C3B Mouthpiece....Does anybody know what that translates to?

I know it's some kind of variation on a schilke 24, which is huge...but I don't know what the C3B stand for.

2. soontir2432

soontir2432 Pianissimo User

Dec 12, 2004
    Queens, New York, USA
    C and 3 are standard and B is a tighter backbore.

3. Bugleboy21

Bugleboy21 Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2005
    Fort Eustis, VA
    History of the Schilke 24C3B

The original design is based on a mouthpiece that the Greek God, Trumpedonis, used with an early version of the hunting horn, in an attempt to remove Zeus from power by playing the loudest trumpet call ever. He failed, and as a punishment, Zeus cursed him and all the other Greek trumpeters with the overwhelming desire to seek out the largest equipment available, therby ensuring their ultimate failure in playing this mighty instrument. In the early 1950's, Renold Schilke copied this design with the hopes of restoring balance to the trumpet world by giving it to the 'chosen one'...Adolf Herseth. However, since this mouthpiece's rim diameter was 'bigger than the rim of a beer bottle', the Mighty Bud chose to remain among the mortals and prove that you don't have to be a god to rule the world.