Schilke B1 Comparison

Discussion in 'Horns' started by yaynor, Mar 7, 2004.

1. yaynor

yaynor New Friend

Dec 14, 2003
    Hi
    Does anyone have any experience with an L.A. Benge 3x. I play this horn with a Monette B2 mouthpiece, mostly in concert band and small combo.I have always coveted a Schlke B1 but I have been told it is more suitable for lead and dance band situations. Can any one give their thoughts. Thanks
    Jerry

2. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    I play a Kanstul Chicago which is not unlike your Benge and have played a few LA Benges but not in direct comparison with the Kanstul but if my memory serves me they are similar.

I have, however, played the B1 quite a bit and IMHO it is a much more versatile horn than you have been advised. I would happily play the B1 in any situation I play the Kanstul in. It will of course handle big band and lead situations with ease but it's not limited to that.

It's actually one of my all time favourite trumpets.

Regards

Trevor

3. Graham Altham-Lewis

Graham Altham-Lewis New Friend

Feb 1, 2004
    I would agree with Trevor. The Schilke B1 only has a lead sound if you want it to have one. My other horn is a Yamaha 6335HS2 and my Schilke has a warmer sound than the Yamaha generally. It is easier to make the schilke have the sound you want where as the yamaha does tend to sound similarish however you play it.

I think the Schilke B1 is a great all round horn. I would have no hesitation using it in Big Band or an Orchestra where the fantastic intonation is a real bonus.

Regards

Graham.

4. yaynor

yaynor New Friend

Dec 14, 2003
    HI guys
    Thanks for your replys. I feel better about purchasing a B1 knowing that is a versatile horn.