Schilke B1 leadpipe?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Spartan040, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Spartan040

Spartan040 New Friend

Mar 18, 2012
    I recently borrowed my friend's B1 to try out and when I took it apart to bathe it, I noticed the lead pipe (it's a reversed lead pipe) was bent to the left at the very end, towards the bell. It plays fine but I was wondering if that was normal or not, should I get it repaired for him?

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    THe lead pipe needs to be parallel to the lower tuning slide receiver (that enters the third valve. Sight down one to see how it lines up with the other. Also the tuning slide legs need to be parallel. Insert the bottom tuning slide into the receiver and lay the top on the lead pipe. These must be parallel.

If not, take it to your local tech and have them line up the slide and lead pipe.

patkins likes this.
  3. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Does the tuning slide go back on? If it does, then put it back on and let your friend know.

Also, I would caution against bathing a horn that you are borrowing. If you were to drop it or something then it would be your fault to get it repaired. Just be careful.

4. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Do as Ivan has advised. A good examination will tell if it is in alignment or not. As to cleaning a friend'shorn you are borrowing, I believe you have performed a kind act and may have discovered something of concern. I believe he will appreciate your thoughtfulness.

5. Spartan040

Spartan040 New Friend

Mar 18, 2012
    The tuning slide does go back on, and it plays fine. And I already bathed it and nothing bad happened.

6. Spartan040

Spartan040 New Friend

Mar 18, 2012
    It does go back on but it does not look in line. And yes I believe he will.

7. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    I would just put it back on and tell your buddy. Also, cleaning the horn is a great way to say thank you. But I would just be careful to not hurt the horn.