Schilke bell tone color

Discussion in 'Horns' started by WFUnix, Feb 1, 2004.

1. WFUnix

WFUnix New Friend

Dec 8, 2003
    Currently I play a Schilke B2Lb. Jim Searl, formerly professor of trumpet at East Carolina University, recommended that model to me some 8 years ago. He studied trumpet with Mr. Schilke. At the time I knew very little about trumpet equipment, etc.

I have been thinking of getting an additional tuning bell of another size to change the color of my sound. I would like a bigger, darker sound. I see that the #2 bell that is standard on the B5 comes in copper. Would this help me achieve a bigger, darker sound? Or how about one of the sterling silver bells to be introduced? I play a GR67L mouthpiece.

Thanks,

WFUnix

2. PatchesTheCat

PatchesTheCat New Friend

Feb 1, 2004
    Bell option

Big Dark Sound...hmm.

What I would do is have them make you a Large Bell out of Copper. The standard B6 bell is copper ML. So just custom order a copper L-bell flare...I think they call it the A bell.

I hear Sandoval has a copper bell on his horn.

What do you think of that idea?

Regards.

3. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    The ML copper will open up your sound, I am unsure of how much darker it is in comparison to the ML brass bell. It was only about 6 months ago when it was known that they had standard weight copper bells.

I went up two bell sizes myself (large "a" bell) - this was pretty drastic in sound. It has a very fat round sound now.

The large "a" bell comes in brass and "beryllium bronze" only. I am unsure of Schilke would build a one off standard weight Large copper bell, but you can always email the sales manager at [email protected] for more information.

-marc

4. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    WFUnix,

A #1 (a) bell can now be ordered in the standard weight copper - please see the standard Bb configuraton page to see all bells that can be ordered.

-marc