Schilke Cornet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Tootsall, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
  2. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    Hi Ed,

It looks great but I bet your Cornet has a more true Cornet tone. I Love my B1 trumpet and was at Phil Parkers and they had the same Schilke XA1 Cornet so I thought I would just give it a play. I used a nice deep funnel shaped Warburton mouthpiece and was shocked at how bright it sounded for a Cornet. Coming from the traditaional British Brass Bands it just wasn't the sound I like from a Cornet, but it may appeal to many.
    Have you played one?

Of course intonation, valves etc all top class as per Schilkes!

Best regards
    Graham.

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    No, I'm afraid I have never played a Schilke cornet. I can easily believe that they are probably on the bright side for a shep. crook horn but I think that would make them perhaps a better tonal fit for a full concert band. Since I don't "do" brass band (probably because there isn't one in this neck of the woods), I don't think it would be that much of a drawback.

Having said that I agree that the Getzen is nice and dark... saves me from having to carry a flugel to band too! (There is just something about that Eterna with a Sparx m/p on it!). Our CB did a short piece last year called "Clarinets Allegro" and the accompaniment is primarily for 1st cornet. The Getzen was a great match for the part with it's dark, "woody" tone.

4. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    Hi Ed,

I don't have a very good Cornet - a Besson 600 (the valves are poor and the intonation is not very good) but it has quite nice tone and sentimental value as I bought it with the monet y my Grandma left me when she passed away and it was a fitting thing to but as she was musical.

Anyway to get to the point! I have two mouthpieces for the Cornet - bothe GR with 3 rims to match my trumpet but one is a number 5 and one a number 7. The 7 is very similar to the Sparx 3 with a big v shape volume but has the rim I want. This is ideal for British Brass Band sound etc. The #5 is like a deep orchestral trumpet C shape and whilst I don't use this much I would imagine it would blend very well in a Concert Band. What Sparx are you using - I believe they do one called a soloist which I think is similar to the 5 I play from GR. They have all the comparisons of Sparx to Gr on the GR website.

Best regards
    Graham.
    PS - Leigh is currently making my new Flugel so I don't know how often I willplay the cornet once that arrives!

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Yes, I discovered Sparx just over a year ago. Bought a #4 for the Getzen after fighting with a Wick 4 for some time (I liked the sound but it didn't feel right at "my" range extremes and of course gave me an endurance problem). After I decided I really liked the Sparx I then went to Bruce Lee and told him what I felt I needed on trumpet (and why) and he recommended the GR Custom series for me. I have both the 66*** and 66**. The *** is a nice match for the Eclipse MR and the ** works very well on my Schilke. I sent the *** off to Toronto and Happy Canuck (thanks again, Bill) took care of getting it gold plated for me. The ** is now on it's merry way to Toronto for the same treatment.

But I certainly agree with you that the GR/Sparx series is a really nice way to go... might not work for everyone but it's sure "my cup of tea"!