Schilke Cornets!!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Johntpt, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Johntpt

Johntpt Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Toluca, Mexico
    So far, there's been lots of discussion of Schilke Trumpets, but what about cornets? Who out there plays on a Schilke cornet?

I have a C cornet model A2C and I love it! I use it as much as I can, whenever there's a cornet part in orchestra.

I am planning to get a Bb model XA1 at some point. I wonder how one of these with a Sterling bell would play!

JU[/b]

2. trumplyr

trumplyr Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Rochester Hills, Mi.
    John,

I've got a Schilke XA1 (edit: not a sterling silver bell) that I used in a brass band for about five years. I've heard from some of our Brit friends that they felt the Schilke was a little bright for their tastes, but by using a Laskey 84DB m'piece, I have never had a problem blending with the section and I get what I believe to be a very traditional cornet sound.

I'm not in the brass band anymore , so I only use it occasionally in some quintet settings (marches, rags, etc.).

Out of all my trumpets and my flugal, this cornet is my favorite instrument. You won't go wrong with this one.

Marty

ps: Quote:"I have a C cornet model A2C and I love it! I use it as much as I can, whenever there's a cornet part in orchestra."
    I've just posted the question "Why don't they make 'um in "A"? Do you know?