Schilke mouthpieces

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by filhodedeus, Sep 21, 2005.

1. filhodedeus

filhodedeus New Friend

Sep 12, 2005
    Brazil
    I played on a Schilke 8E2, which was pretty much a bathtub. I loved the piece though. I have also played on a Schilke 13A4A as a lead piece. Again, I loved the piece.

My question is this....I noticed that the rim on the Schilke's is very soft and rounded. It doesn't have the hard edge that a Bach has.

I would like to hear comments, good or bad, on anyone that has played on a Schilke.

If you like it, why? If you don't like it, why? Right now I am playing on a Bach 3C and it's ok, but I'm trying to talk myself into going back to the Schilke.

Creature of habit :-?

2. Chris4

Chris4 Pianissimo User

Jul 16, 2005
    A played a Schilke 1 1/2 C for awhile. I loved it. It had a very round rim so it was very comfortable, had good endurance, and flexibility. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it's attacks weren't very crisp..thats why I gave it up. But all-in-all I liked it. Chris

3. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    I am a dreaded pressure player and Bach rims just kill me. I switched to Schilke rims which worked very well, the 13C4 being my favorite. I then went to Reeves 42M which I loved for years. It was "softer than the Bach but not quite as round as the Schilke. I recently have been playing on a Monette B6 and that works very well for me. old geezer Dave

4. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    I,ve played on a Schilke 11 for 20 years, it feels like a pillow around rim, how ever it use to be glod plated,now it,s just yellow fade.
    still as good piece.

5. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    If you wanna feel a mouthpiece with a hard rim try a Holton Heim #2 which is a 10c similar to a Schilke 11 :lol: Its a great peice to play for screaming high notes and tons of endurance, but I cant get used to the hard rim. I think the reason for this is because I normally play a Bach 1c which fits me just right.

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

6. Chris4

Chris4 Pianissimo User

Jul 16, 2005
    My experience with a Holton Heim #2 was different. Sure it helped with high notes but the rim was so hard it cut into my lips and cut all endurance. I couldn't play on it for more than 15 minutes.

7. 11thchair

11thchair Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    Evansville In
    I tried a 14a4a that the local music store recommended, back a couple years when I started as a comeback. Terrible tone for me, very sloppy. I'm tarnishing it now. Also tried a 16 and a 15. Not bad - maybe a bit stuffy for me, been happier on Bach 3C and 3D. Bach's are a bit sloppy

Trying a Stork XM6 right now. Better attacks, better resonating tone, not stuffy. Seems to be a good match with my Fides.

8. filhodedeus

filhodedeus New Friend

Sep 12, 2005
    Brazil
    I know I started the thread about Schilkes, but I have been looking at Weril mouthpieces here in Brazil. Any comments.

Thanks.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You know, I have bebopped around on the mouthpiece safari and it seems to me that for the way that I play and the way I like a mouthpiece to feel and sound, Schilke is the way to go for me.

I play virtually everything these days on a Schilke 14A4, which is like the 14A4a, only it has the more open 'c' backbore instead of the 'a' backbore.

I like it. It's comfortable, the sound I have is good for the ensemble I'm playing with, and it facilitates the range and endurance I need for that gig.

Currently, my legit piece is a Stork 3C, but I'm considering spending the extra cash and having the guys at Schilke make me a 14C4 - basically, I would have the same rim and backbore as the 14A4, but with a bigger cup. It isn't a standard Schilke size and needs to be special ordered. I think that if I went this route, it would give me the best of both worlds
    14A4 for when I need to rev it up and play horn hits in a party band
    14C4 for when I need to have a bigger, less bright sound for the occasional church gig.

Give them a try - especially the mouthpieces in the 14 and 15 range.

10. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Pat,

it might be cheaper in the long run to get an extra 14a4a off of ebay and send it off to get the rim cut off of it. that way you could try various underparts to see which works best for you.