Schilke--Older v. Newer

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by amzi, Mar 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    With the exception of the horns with Yamaha valves, is there a significant difference in build or sound quality of Schilke trumpets built during different eras? Specifically I am interested in a B6B.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Older horns are broken in. Schilke has ALWAYS been top quality - with or without Yamalloy valves. I would have no trouble in not buying a new one - although Andrew Naumann has a MUCH different opinion.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    My opinion with Schilke trumpets is that old or new, it really doesn't matter. The quality standards with Mr. Naumann at the helm seem to be exactly what they were in years past, and nothing has changed from a design or quality standpoint. If you can find what you are looking for used, you'll have a great trumpet. Likewise, if you can't and you have to buy a brand new one, you'll have a great trumpet.

Try as many of them as you can though. I recently had the opportunity to try a bunch of different models in one day:

B1
    B3
    B5
    B6 (I own and use this one)
    S22 Heavy weight
    S32
    S42 Faddis Model

They were all very good, but also considerably different. From that list, my clear preference was for the B1 and S32, maybe even over my own B6, which makes me wonder if I should start budgeting for another purchase and to keep my eyes open for a good deal.

You may find exactly what you are looking for with the B6B, but then again, you might actually prefer one of the other models if you have the chance to give them a try.

4. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Thanks guys, you confirm what I suspected. I have a penchant for old Bachs (the 2 in my signature are 60s Elkharts), but need to find a more efficient horn. Years of smoke filled bars and years of smoking (part of my gig gear was a clamp on ash tray) have taken their toll. Not terrible impressed with the Strad Medium Bore (38), thought I would start looking at Schilke and the B6 seemed like a good starting point. I'll definitely look at the B1 and others. Although the biggest problem I'll probably have is getting past the silver plate. Thanks again and the hunt begins!

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    have you tried leadpipe conversions of Bachs? I am amazed on the difference it makes.... I wish I had tried some Shilkes so I could know what they "feel" like

6. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I don't dislike the way my horns play now. I'm just getting old, have about 2/3 of my lung capacity and need a more efficient horn. I'm not really sure I want to change anything about either of by Bachs because of their current value and I'm certainly not going to touch my Recording. At the present time I spend a lot of time playing my cornet because it is more efficient than my trumpets. (I guess I could play my "C" but it always sounds funny in a section of Bb horns.) This is one of those I know what I like--just how much can I still handle things. I haven't played a B6 in years, but they are a great horn--I'll just have to see what fits.

7. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    The B7 is nice too, same bell as the B1 and X3/X4

8. Michael T. Doublec

Michael T. Doublec Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2014
    Even if you buy one used, you can contact Andrew Naumann at Schilke and they will rebuild and replate the horn for under $1000. I play on B3 with the beryllium bell built in 1974 and it has been rebuilt 2 times. The last time it required new valves, but still plays wonderfully. As far as I can tell it plays just the same as it did when I got it. Good luck!

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I have owned older Schilkes and I have a new B6 now. They play the same.

That is one reason I bought my new one, it played just like the old one.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Chuck, I've had the opportunity to play a few B6s, both newer (new production) and older next to mine. I think the older one was a late 60s production. It was a gold plated B6 that Trent Austin had at the Maryland trumpet day in Bel Air, Maryland a year or two ago.

Blindfolded I'd have been hard put to tell the difference in any of them - they were all remarkably close. The gold plated one seemed to have a slightly different sound, but it was still so close to mine that I could have used it at a gig and not known the difference. I just thought that it was remarkable that in over 50 years worth of production, the horns are still so unbelievably the same.