Schilke--Older v. Newer

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by amzi, Mar 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    I won't buy a horn that I haven't tried out first. The only exception is when I needed to replace my damaged s42, I bought one mail order, off the shelf, without playing it. Played great. I'll only do this with Schilkes.

Garry

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I think it is safe to say Schilke builds an excellent horn.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'll go further than that. I think it's safe to say that Schilke builds excellent horns that are exceptionally well designed, and from "price vs what you get" perspective, it's probably the best value in trumpets available right now. I've never seen any other trumpet that I can say has better fit and finish than a Schilke and I have never, not once, heard of someone getting one that didn't play well. It may not have been their cup of tea from a sound perspective, but every last one of them coming out of the shop is a player. The fact that they are within a hundred bucks or so of a Bach Strad makes me wonder why anyone who is right in the head would buy a new Bach over a Schilke.

4. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I have never played a Schilke that I didn't like

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    If you haven't played or owned one you also won't understand this....but there is no other trumpet that "FEELS" the way a Schilke feels in your hands.

Maybe it's the tighter wrap, but there IS something about the feel.

It really reminds me of the Mercedes I bought my wife, I would not have believed there was THAT much of difference, but when you DRIVE one, you will know.

6. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Agreed. The horn in the left hand feels like part of your hand. Schilke had the world's top players assist him in those remarkable designs and let's not forget Schilke himself was a great player.
    When you find the right one, there aren't many horns that may appeal to you more than the Schilke.
    It is a shame Schilke could never quite get a bell that Herseth felt the equal in character to his Bach bell. The orchestral world would likely be very different today.
    For those who do not know, the famed Chicago Symphony Bach set have lightweight bells and Schilke was involved in the transaction.

Rich T.

7. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Purchased an X3 that had been on the dealer wall for several years, in December. Have been playing Strad 37. I was concerned about the "tight wrap" but am now used to it. Love the horn! Play with 14a4.