Schilke S32

Discussion in 'Horns' started by John Miconi, May 4, 2004.

1. John Miconi

John Miconi Pianissimo User

Dec 19, 2003
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Need opinions on the Schilke S32...

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Shiny
    Great valves
    Depends on s/n.

3. bkmdano

bkmdano New Friend

Nov 13, 2003
    Tootsall,

Can you give us a little more regarding the Serial numbers. Which ones are good and why are they good?

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    From Jim Donaldson's website, serial numbers between 20,XXX and 30,XXX feature the Yamaha components, including Yamalloy valves. If you check Ebay you'll see that that range tends to pull a couple hundred bucks less on resale.

Quote"So, only those horns with Yamaha casings have serial numbers from 20000 to 29999. In addition, those horns with Yamaha casings are distinguished by bowed tubing, rather than straight, between the valves; by braces between the valves that are round (Yamaha), rather than hexagonal (Schilke); and by two thin lines about 2/3 up the valve casing (Yamaha), rather than a beveled edge about 2/3 up that leads to the upper 1/3 with a slightly larger diameter casings (Schilke). " Unquote.

http://www.dallasmusic.org/schilke/Miscellaneous.html#Yamalloy Valves

Cheers.

5. pangaea

pangaea Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    I bought a new B5 in 1982 and it took me years to figure out what was wrong...not a happy thing. I eventually had to send the horn to the Schilke factory for a valve job, but they never really were up to snuff. And, indeed, as Tootsall says, these cursed horns do not hold up that well in the resale department.

6. theoldmaz

theoldmaz New Friend

Jan 30, 2004
    Oak Park, Illinois
    "S" model trumpets

There are no"S" model trumpets with Yamaha parts. They were conceived and developed after the company severed it's ties with Yamaha. Their design has remained constant over the years and, except for the "dizzy bells", we made for Mr. Gillespie, an S32 made today is exactly the same as one made twenty years ago.

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    So it would be safe to say that no S model has a serial number between 20,000 and 29,999 and Jim's statement is right and so is yours and so is mine so we're all friends, right? :)

Thanks for the clarification, Oldmaz. My comment re: s/n was out of line considering that the topic was solely about S32.