Schilke S42, Jupiter XO 1600i Ingram, 8310Z, or....?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Dec 9, 2014.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I thought I'd start up a thread to see if anyone has any thoughts on a few trumpets, chiefly the Schilke S42, the Jupiter XO 1600i Roger Ingram model, or the Yamaha 8310Z.

As some of you might know based on my posting, I'm pretty much a Schilke Fanboy, and although I currently play a Schilke B6, I've given thought to maybe looking into something else - there are so many things I love about my B6, but I've never been particularly accurate on it - it has always been a bit squirrely, but I can't fault the sound.

Naturally I'm leaning toward the S42 - it keeps me on a Schilke, which I believe are rarely matched and never beaten when it comes to quality control, and fit and finish. I believe it's part of why they are so danged consistent.

With that said, I'd also be willing to look into the Z horn, as well as the Roger Ingram Jupiter - after all, he used to be known for playing an S42.

Does anyone have any experience with these horns, particularly if they have ever directly compared a B6 to any of the ones listed? I'm going to plan a jaunt out to some local area retailers to do some of my own playing, but it would be nice to get some feedback before going out.

2. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    I've trialed an S42L-JF. It was really wonderful. It felt different than the B6 I tried, but in a good way. The sound felt like it had more to it and notes seemed more accurate. Never much cared for the Z horn. Just my opinion though!

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I've read a couple of accounts of folks who were on a B6, tried an S42, and never looked back. My main issue is with the slotting of the B6. I've always felt that it's something going on with my chops and that I just need to work it, but then I read some things that suggest that part of my issue may in fact be with the way the B6 slots, which some people like.

The Jupiter Ingram model, from a specs perspective, looks a lot like an S42 with the exception of the bore size, .450 step bore for the S42, and .453 for the Jupiter. It's definitely less money than the S42, and I also like the fact that it can be had in lacquer, but again, I'm a Schilke fanboy, so my gut instinct is to stick within models available from them.

4. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Funny! Iv'e played the B6 and S42 side by side, and I find the B6 to be much more lively. If I where to just have a lead horn only, the S42 would be a 1. choice, but for lead and some kind of "all-round", the B6 would be my choice. I have also play tested the Ingram, and that one feels much tighter than the S42 (may have been the set up), and the Z are the opposite of the three others since it's very free blowing. I've tried the Till Brönner Yamaha, 6330B, and while it looks similar to the Z it plays way better. Worth a try, IMHO! :-)

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'm pretty much specifically looking for a lead horn - that's the bulk of the gigging I do. I need something that's going to light up with a certain brilliance and cut, but at the same time, I'd really love to be a bit more accurate than I am on my B6. Again, I don't know if I'm the problem, or if that particular trumpet doesn't lend itself well to secure slotting, but from a lot of things I've read recently, apparently I'm not the only one who feels that way about the B6.

6. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Faddis went from a B6L to an S42L. YOu might want to give Steve "Dr. Valve" Winans a call. He knows the horns inside and out and did a lot of work for Roger. He also sells his own tweaked out version of the S42.

7. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Faddis went from a B6L to an S42L. YOu might want to give Steve "Dr. Valve" Winans a call. Doctor Valve, Trumpet Repair and Restoration He knows the horns inside and out and did a lot of work for Roger. He also sells his own tweaked out version of the S42.

8. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I have tried the S42, B6 and the Faddis model side by side. (I live a whole 20 minutes from Schilke).
    I liked them all of them but the Faddis model gave me ease of the upper register like no other horn I've tried. It slots so well up above high C it nearly seemed effortless. There was a noticeable difference between the the normal S42 and the Faddis. The copper bell on the B6 - which is a very fine horn - does not give me my usual sound which Phil Baughmann noted.
    For what it is worth, I play a Schilke B1 and have for nearly 9 years. I have never tried the Yamaha or Ingram horns.
    Rich T.

9. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    In short, my opinion on the Yamahas and Jupiter:

Yamaha 8310Z - hated it- stuffy, felt extremely constricting
    Yamaha 6310Z - fantastic - one of my main horns
    Jupiter 1600i - a lot like the 6310Z, but even better - plays more "freely" in my opinion, with an even easier upper register...!

Explanation to follow...

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Good stuff, although I'm thinking less in terms of blow, and more in terms of accuracy in slotting - that's my main issues these days. Range, endurance, sound, articulation - all are pretty much ok, but man, when I miss, I MISS, and that really bothers me.